Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 minute ago, Oboro! said:

Pretty sure it means what do you think!

Don't worry, it took me years before I finally figured out what iirc meant heh

I still don't know half of these things. I feel like I'm too old for this internet malarky... I'm only in my mid-twenties! xD 

At least I have these emoticon mabob things sort of down... at least enough to do xD and :)... Although maybe I use them incorrectly... oh well. 

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Akaneia's Cain is officially spelled "Kain" in Japanese.

It loses the Cain and Abel biblical motif if they don't spell it the right way.

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That logic doesn't really work when Tiki, a divine dragon, is red when a different divine dragon, Fae, is green.

Flametongue and the fact that Tiki can canonically transform into a fire dragon say otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I still don't know half of these things. I feel like I'm too old for this internet malarky... I'm only in my mid-twenties! xD 

At least I have these emoticon mabob things sort of down... at least enough to do xD and :)... Although maybe I use them incorrectly... oh well. 

You're making me feel old.

That logic doesn't really work when Tiki, a divine dragon, is red when a different divine dragon, Fae, is green.

There's no rhyme or reason to how they assign Manakete color.  Corrin should be Red, since that's what they make Dark Magic.  And they shouldn't have made it so you can willy nilly give any breath you want to any manakete.

5 hours ago, GuiltyLove said:

It's cute! It makes me sad scaring precious daughter though :(

And then she drops this on you: "I’ll work really hard for you. Cross my heart and hope to die!"

The word "die" just echoes in my head. No, Nino, never say that again. ;_;

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Huh, and here I thought Valter would be an average tenor.  THAT would be the most disturbing IMO - perfectly normal voice with those lines.

I have no idea what a tenor is. I had to look it up and if I'm understanding it correctly, tenor is the highest singing voice for men.

I don't know, Valter strikes me as someone with a very clear voice that is either average or low. It could be a bit high, but not like Henry's or something maniacal, higher-pitched like Mark Hamil's Joker, Kefka's voice in Dissidia, or Doug Erholtz's Vega which seems too obvious to me. And not something gravelly or gruff like Jaffar, Navarre, Saber, and Saizo's voices. I'm thinking of something like Mick Wingert's Laslow or maybe George Spelvin's Xander where there's this sort of vampire-like charisma to it and it's really "perfect", but in an very unsettling way. So, a voice that's so alluring even though you know there's definitely something wrong about him.

Kaiji Tang came up since he's really good at giving dramatic voices if Odin and Narcian are any indications of that. Lloyd's his deepest voice while Narcian and Odin are more average. He could work if Valter were to be dramatic in a sense that's he's mad and off in his own world, but still eerily charming.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Flametongue and the fact that Tiki can canonically transform into a fire dragon say otherwise.

Being able to transform into a fire dragon doesn't mean Tiki herself actually is one. Young!Tiki's character description specifically says "Divine Dragon", not "fire dragon". Also, every dragon has Fire Breath and Fire Breath+ so shouldn't that mean that every dragon should be red then?

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

There's no rhyme or reason to how they assign Manakete color.  Corrin should be Red, since that's what they make Dark Magic.  And they shouldn't have made it so you can willy nilly give any breath you want to any manakete.

That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make. Thunder magic is associated with blue in this game yet Adult!Tiki, who has Lightning Breath, is red and not blue.

Edited by Tybrosion

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Tiki has Flametongue, implying she is intended to be implemented as a fire dragon. She is red.
Other Tiki is Tiki. She is red.
Corrin I hear has a water motif. She is blue.
Nowi I have no idea, but they gave her Lightning Breath. She is blue.
Ninian is an ice dragon. Valaskjalf is blue. She is blue.
Fae is a divine dragon. She is green.
Naga is a divine dragon. Julia is green.

Too much coincidence to be "no rhyme or reason".

2 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Well yeah, they've only got one k sound, and can't spell it as Cain instead. 

That's not how converting from one language to another and back works, which is clearly how most names in Fire Emblem are derived.

If I take "Hector", convert it into Japanese as ヘクトル (hekutoru), and then back into English, it becomes "Hector" and not "Hektor" or "Hekutoru" or some shit like that.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, is Carlos in Spain, Karl in German, and Charles in English. Switching languages and back again doesn't change that.

Being able to transform into a fire dragon doesn't mean Tiki herself actually is one. Young!Tiki's character description specifically says "Divine Dragon", not "fire dragon". Also, every dragon has Fire Breath and Fire Breath+ so shouldn't that mean that every dragon should be red then?

Like Raven, who is using an axe instead of his usual sword, Tiki is using a Fire Dragonstone instead of a Divine Dragonstone. Raven isn't a red axe unit for the same reason Tiki isn't a green Fire Dragonstone unit.

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make. Thunder magic is associated with blue in this game yet Adult!Tiki, who has Lightning Breath, is red and not blue.

I honestly have not played enough of Awakening to know anything about Awakening Tiki or Nowi. If someone can actually tell me anything about the dragons of Awakening instead of just Lightning Breath this Lightning Breath that everything is random and drawn from a hat, I might be able to have a better answer.

But for now, I can provide a simple reason for each dragon's color other than Awakening Tiki. Six out of seven dragons (including Naga) have a good reason for being they color they are.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's not how converting from one language to another and back works, which is clearly how most names in Fire Emblem are derived.

If I take "Hector", convert it into Japanese as ヘクトル (hekutoru), and then back into English, it becomes "Hector" and not "Hektor" or "Hekutoru" or some shit like that.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, is Carlos in Spain, Karl in German, and Charles in English. Switching languages and back again doesn't change that.

Uh sure, I don't see how this pertains what you or I said. They chose the names of Cain and Abel just like they picked from any other western mythology to make their game sound more cultured. They can say "Cain" in their language just fine. I'm just telling you they spelt it the way they did in Japanese because there was no other way to write it, unlike English where we can make the same sounds with multiple spellings. 

Uh sure, I don't see how this pertains what you or I said. They chose the names of Cain and Abel just like they picked from any other western mythology to make their game sound more cultured. They can say "Cain" in their language just fine. I'm just telling you they spelt it the way they did in Japanese because there was no other way to write it, unlike English where we can make the same sounds with multiple spellings. 

"Kain" is in English. Explain to me why "Kain" doesn't have a "c" and "Hector" does if they somehow can't use the letter "c" when romanizing names.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tiki has Flametongue, implying she is intended to be implemented as a fire dragon. She is red.

Agreed, I think they've been fairly logical with our dragon friends.  I do agree, however, that Corrin should have been red since she is dark.  However, there were already Tiki and Adult Tiki who were red and only one blue so maybe that's why they made her blue? (edit: or more likely, her twin brother was red so maybe that's why she was blue)

I'd like to see male dragon corrin and female mage corrin someday.

Edited by Lushen

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Like Raven, who is using an axe instead of his usual sword, Tiki is using a Fire Dragonstone instead of a Divine Dragonstone. Raven isn't a red axe unit for the same reason Tiki isn't a green Fire Dragonstone unit.

That still doesn't change the fact that Tiki and Fae are both divine dragons but yet weren't assigned the same color. Since Ninian has Light Breath, shouldn't that mean she's using a Divine Dragonstone then going by your logic? If so, then why are she and Fae different colors then? Also, you didn't answer or acknowledge my question. Young!Tiki having Flametongue means nothing when every dragon in Heroes is capable of breathing fire.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I honestly have not played enough of Awakening to know anything about Awakening Tiki or Nowi. If someone can actually tell me anything about the dragons of Awakening instead of just Lightning Breath this Lightning Breath that everything is random and drawn from a hat, I might be able to have a better answer.

But for now, I can provide a simple reason for each dragon's color other than Awakening Tiki. Six out of seven dragons (including Naga) have a good reason for being they color they are.

It's never specified what type of dragon Nowi, and by extension Nah, are. Awakening and also Fates just have "Dragonstone" and "Dragonstone+" among its usable dragonstones.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Kain" is in English. Explain to me why "Kain" doesn't have a "c" and "Hector" does if they somehow can't use the letter "c" when romanizing names.

Yeah, but the biblical reference isn't Kain and Abel.

Did...you not catch what they were going for?

Edited by Gustavos

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Too much coincidence to be "no rhyme or reason".

I don't know why Light is sometimes Green and sometimes Blue, rather than being consistent.  Corrin has Dark Breath so should have been Red.  Anankos is a water hydra dragon type thing, but Corrin went with a dark breath, rather than water breath, so should have been Red.  Adult Tiki should have had Flametongue to not mix the Lightning being Blue thing the rest of Heroes had going.  The argument could have been made that every Manakete so far should have been Blue.

Adult Tiki has Lightning Breath=Blue

Young TIki is Tiki=Blue

Corrin water=Blue

Nowi lightning=Blue

Ninian ice=Blue

Fae Light Breath=Blue

Naga is divine=Blue

They can all equip Lightning Breath=Blue

All this dragon talk makes me remember how much I want Kurthnaga, Nasir and Ena in this game. ;-;

Nasir would definitely be a blue I think, Kurthnaga and Ena being reds.

That does make me curious if and how they'd implement the beast or bird laguz, or even the taguel, wolfskin or kitsune. Would be interesting to see.

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

All this dragon talk makes me remember how much I want Kurthnaga, Nasir and Ena in this game. ;-;

Nasir would definitely be a blue I think, Kurthnaga and Ena being reds.

That does make me curious if and how they'd implement the beast or bird laguz, or even the taguel, wolfskin or kitsune. Would be interesting to see.

I speculated that Birds would either be Green, since wind, or Blue to be weak to Wind.  For Beasts, either Green to be weak to Fire or Red, since red of tooth and claw.

Dragons could either fill the void of the other two or go on a case by case basis.  Or just draw out of a hat like they do now.

2 minutes ago, Lushen said:

Agreed, I think they've been fairly logical with our dragon friends.  I do agree, however, that Corrin should have been red since she is dark.  However, there were already Tiki and Adult Tiki who were red and only one blue so maybe that's why they made her blue?

I hear from the other thread that bubbles appear when Corrin uses Dragon Fang. Or something like that.

I'm also not completely convinced that Dark Breath is related to dark magic and Light Breath is related to light magic, mostly because you'd think they'd also have Wind Breath if they were following that theme to the T.

3 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That still doesn't change the fact that Tiki and Fae are both divine dragons but yet weren't assigned the same color.

That's literally irrelevant, though. Whether you are or aren't a divine dragon doesn't matter. It's whether you transformed into a divine dragon or not.

Raven can choose to equip a sword or an axe. If he equips a sword, he is red. If he equips an axe, he is green. Actually, Xander might be a better example because he can actually have a sword or a lance or an axe in this game.

In the same way, Tiki can transform into a fire dragon or an ice dragon or a divine dragon or any other type of dragon that you can obtain a dragonstone for in her games. Fire dragons are clearly red, ice dragons are clearly blue, and divine dragons appear to have been chosen to be green.

Yeah, but the biblical reference isn't Kain and Abel.

Did...you not catch what they were going for?

And Rebacca is misspelled. I don't know if it was a legitimate mistake or they were trying to look cool or what, but they decided to spell his name "Kain".

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I don't know why Light is sometimes Green and sometimes Blue, rather than being consistent.

Aura is light magic. Therefore blue.

Naga is a divine dragon. Therefore green.

You can't just look at magic in a vacuum because you lose helpful hints from other sources.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Corrin has Dark Breath so should have been Red.

See above. I'm not convinced Dark Breath has anything to do with dark magic. Idenn and Mediuth are the only dragons in the main series that use Dark Breath to my knowledge, and neither of those counted as dark magic.

12 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

The argument could have been made that every Manakete so far should have been Blue.

I think anyone can see your list is contrived.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Dragons could either fill the void of the other two or go on a case by case basis.  Or just draw out of a hat like they do now.

Red to be weak to thunder. And strike instead of breath to deal physical damage and be in line with the other Laguz.

1 minute ago, Quintessence said:

Speaking of Naga/Julia, I find it weird that she's a green mage and her summon circle, upon casting her Divine Tome, is blue. Huh?

Divine/Light Magic should have stayed Blue.  Blue seems more like a "Light" Color anyway, and it's effective against Red, which has been established as the Dark Magic Color.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I speculated that Birds would either be Green, since wind, or Blue to be weak to Wind.  For Beasts, either Green to be weak to Fire or Red, since red of tooth and claw.

Had that same line of thinking, settling on mixed triangle colors for Laguz/Taguel/etc since dragons follow that rule. I'd suspect they would even just use 1 weapon type, though on the other hand, if they wanted weapons effective against beasts, then they'd separate them, or else consider beasts "cavalry" and make those weapons effective against both riders and beasts (like how the weapons in Awakening worked on horses and Taguel).

Edited by Johann

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I hear from the other thread that bubbles appear when Corrin uses Dragon Fang. Or something like that.

Yeah, Corrin's dragon form is water-based. Makes sense, because eastern dragons are generally more associated with the sea/rain, while western ones are more associated with fire and brimstone and the like.

I always thought Corrin breathing fire in Heroes was really out of place and weird, incidentally.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's literally irrelevant, though. Whether you are or aren't a divine dragon doesn't matter. It's whether you transformed into a divine dragon or not.

Raven can choose to equip a sword or an axe. If he equips a sword, he is red. If he equips an axe, he is green. Actually, Xander might be a better example because he can actually have a sword or a lance or an axe in this game.

In the same way, Tiki can transform into a fire dragon or an ice dragon or a divine dragon or any other type of dragon that you can obtain a dragonstone for in her games. Fire dragons are clearly red, ice dragons are clearly blue, and divine dragons appear to have been chosen to be green.

Except it kinda isn't. You said at the beginning of this that Nils has to be blue because of the type of dragon he is (Ice) but at the same time you're OK with Tiki being red despite that clashing with the type of dragon she is (Divine). Don't you see the disconnect here?