• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

It's a deliberate half-flip. There's a reason Haken has Excellen's surname, and Kaguya has Kyosuke's...

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess but i never really felt like it was that imbalanced tbh.

Fair. I haven't played Torna since I beat it, I have XC2 maingame well behind me, and that kind of blanket statement is easier to make when you don't have sharp clarity on the details.

Alright, that’s my first play session of Banner Saga done. The tactics gameplay was fun, no complaints there. Literally none, it was just good SRPG gameplay, I like some of the mechanics although my lack of experience with the genre other than Fire Emblem leaves me not knowing how unique they are (specifically the armor/strength stuff, the way promoting works and the giants taking up four tiles). As far as choices I’ve made so far, for Ruben...

Spoiler

The first one I can think of seeming important was choosing whether to have Alette and that guy with the shield who’s name I forgot stay and fight or go warn the chieftain, I had them go and warn the chieftain thinking that would help them better prepare, but he died anyway so I’m guessing that choice only affected whether or not those two showed up in the battle, which I would have liked to have them, but eh.

I chose to just go help Iver with the distraction while the majority of the townsfolk fled instead of doing no distraction or... burning the village down?? I don’t think that choice had any negative outcome.

I reluctantly sided with Hogun and Mogun during the village quarrel, I didn’t really want to kill “innocent” villagers and in games like this I like to go with the nonviolent options, but I feel like leaving the entire village to die would have led to more casualties anyway, and it’s not right to force the whole village to stay and likely die so you all might have a somewhat better chance at surviving, because you don’t want to leave in the first place. I guess between a violent option with a better outcome and a nonviolent option with a worse outcome, I will reluctantly pick the violent one. Of course, crossing my fingers that this is the better outcome and leaving them all behind causes them to survive through the power of friendship or something. Although I sort of like my odds because this route let two named characters join the party, whereas siding with the village mob does not (at least not immediately after (I picked that one just to see what I was actually deciding because the wording slightly confused me, but reloaded when I understood) and I just feel like recruitables wouldn’t be locked behind the worse outcome, for some reason. And I think that’s it.

I assumed general dialogue didn’t really matter, but I generally tried to be kind in dialogue options, with the only exception being intimidating that guy at the very beginning of the game instead of paying him or doing nothing, because paying him would have meant giving up money which I assumed would be important in a game about making smart choices and keeping your caravan going through resources, and doing nothing was likely to cause things to not go our way.

I only lost one battle but that was because the angle the fixed camera was at in combination with an enemy being in the way made me accidentally move one tile behind said enemy instead of adjacent to it, causing me to lose, so I gave myself the reset on that one. 😅

Edited by Sooks

41 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You mean Havel The Rock?

Nicely Done!

Alas, no. I think.

Just some random bloke in black armor standing in a gateway. He didn't respawn after I defeated him, so I assume his was a miniboss?

ALSO THIS DRAGON IS A TROLL

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I only lost one battle but that was because the angle the fixed camera was at in combination with an enemy being in the way made me accidentally move one time behind said enemy instead of adjacent to it, causing me to lose, so I gave myself the reset on that one. 😅

I have accidentally woken up an hour earlier than I had to.

Nice.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

The Banner Saga Trilogy has arrived! The bonus edition apparently comes with an art book and a mini-poster of all the characters (the bonus edition was the only version of the trilogy I could even find, not that I would turn down a 14 dollar bonus edition) and I really like this art and the art style. A lot.

Glad you do! Yeah, I love it too. It's like you're playing a Disney movie.

An extremely bleak Disney movie.

It definitely works at hyping me up for the games. I would pick a favorite character from looks alone but they all look so good! Too bad 98% of them might die. I’m definitely excited to play this. I will start after dinner, though, because dinner is soon.

Glad to know you're hyped and I missed all of it because timezones.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

That feeling when you lose a battle because depth perception fails you and you think a character is adjacent to another one but they’re actually one tile away. Why brain, why?

O O F

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Alright, that’s my first play session of Banner Saga done. The tactics gameplay was fun, no complaints there. Literally none, it was just good SRPG gameplay, I like some of the mechanics although my lack of experience with the genre other than Fire Emblem leaves me not knowing how unique they are (specifically the armor/strength stuff, the way promoting works and the giants taking up four tiles).

Happy to know you're enjoying it! As someone who's played at least a couple more strategy games, it is... unique enough.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

As far as choices I’ve made so far, for Ruben...

Hide contents

The first one I can think of seeming important was choosing whether to have Alette and that guy with the shield who’s name I forgot stay and fight or go warn the chieftain, I had them go and warn the chieftain thinking that would help them better prepare, but he died anyway so I’m guessing that choice only affected whether or not those two showed up in the battle, which I would have liked to have them, but eh.

I chose to just go help Iver with the distraction while the majority of the townsfolk fled instead of doing no distraction or... burning the village down?? I don’t think that choice had any negative outcome.

I reluctantly sided with Hogun and Mogun during the village quarrel, I didn’t really want to kill “innocent” villagers and in games like this I like to go with the nonviolent options, but I feel like leaving the entire village to die would have led to more casualties anyway, and it’s not right to force the whole village to stay and likely die so you all might have a somewhat better chance at surviving, because you don’t want to leave in the first place. I guess between a violent option with a better outcome and a nonviolent option with a worse outcome, I will reluctantly pick the violent one. Of course, crossing my fingers that this is the better outcome and leaving them all behind causes them to survive through the power of friendship or something. Although I sort of like my odds because this route let two named characters join the party, whereas siding with the village mob does not (at least not immediately after (I picked that one just to see what I was actually deciding because the wording slightly confused me, but reloaded when I understood) and I just feel like recruitables wouldn’t be locked behind the worse outcome, for some reason. And I think that’s it.

I assumed general dialogue didn’t really matter, but I generally tried to be kind in dialogue options, with the only exception being intimidating that guy at the very beginning of the game instead of paying him or doing nothing, because paying him would have meant giving up money which I assumed would be important in a game about making smart choices and keeping your caravan going through resources, and doing nothing was likely to cause things to not go our way.

Hoho, not bad! You're... actually doing better than me already.

Spoiler

If you had chosen to have Alette and Egil around to fight, they would've helped in the fight, but Alette would've been ambushed by a dredge afterwards. You would've been given a few options to save her. Picking the wrong ones would've resulted in Egil making good on his word to keep Alette safe... At the cost of his own life.

Don't party just yet, however. I don't know how it works in PS, but in the Steam version there's an achievement for keeping Egil alive the entire game. That's how easy it is to get the poor kid murdered. So yeah. Stay alert.

As for the twins... yeah, sorry, the village's chance of survival is exactly 0. On the other hand, the people you fought were the ones who wanted to stay and let the dredge destroy them. You basically saved the ones who wanted to do the reasonable thing. Plus, you get Hogun and Mogun, which is pretty nice!

The rest of the choices you described don't have as much impact. I don't think. I did the same thing as you did regarding the departure of Skogr in both of my runs.

Oh, and if you're wondering, it is impossible to save Vognir. He dies no matter what.

Oh, incidentally - is there a guy called Tryggvi in your game? In the PC version he's a kickstarter bonus character, but I've heard it works differently in consoles.

How're you liking the characters otherwise? Any favorites yet? I've already mentioned that mine is Ludin, though now that you've met the guy, you're probably wondering how that can be, haha.

I only lost one battle but that was because the angle the fixed camera was at in combination with an enemy being in the way made me accidentally move one tile behind said enemy instead of adjacent to it, causing me to lose, so I gave myself the reset on that one. 😅

Fine, I'll take it. You're still getting used to it, it's okay. Still, I expect you to take some Ls at some point, my friend! Please, for my sake if nothing else! I don't want to feel too bad about myself, haha.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

@Saint Rubenio @Teeheemperor @teeheefalchion @Armagon @Sooks @Dayni @lightcosmo

Thank you for being so supportive. ^^

---

Hello, everybody!
I couldn't be here yesterday due to circumstances... actually, because I was binging playthroughs of the Touhou series.
Hot DAMN these games have some godlike music. One theme in particular has earned my highest of praise: to me, this theme is nearly on the same level as Lucia, which I cannot help but name as my favorite piece of music in general whenever the opportunity arises (case in point... xD).
In any case, have a listen to this:

I thought no other theme in a video game could come close to rivaling Lucia for me, but... here we are!

Also, this game's difficulty looks to be sadism in entertainment media form. This boss in particular... holy crap!
... I'll stick to watching playthroughs of this series. XD

1 minute ago, TeeheeFlames said:

Hot DAMN these games have some godlike music.

Preach.

I've never even played a Touhou game, but I've been listening to its music for years. It's so good.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Preach.

I've never even played a Touhou game, but I've been listening to its music for years. It's so good.

I've heard of Touhou before (it's apparently a major deal in Japan... to the point where the fan material actually eclipses the officual stuff), but I only saw playthroughs of it just this year. They do look insanely fun to play, if insanely difficult. Probably too much so for me. XD

Stories and characters are pretty neat, too!
Byakuren here in particular.

Edited by TeeheeFlames

I've heard of Touhou before (it's apparently a major deal in Japan... to the point where the fan material actually eclipses the officual stuff), but I only saw playthroughs of it just this year.

Oh yeah, Touhou's a huge deal. It's a long-running indie franchise that's been going on since the 90s, which is saying something for a franchise made by one guy who studied music, not game making.

Not gonna lie, I feel like Touhou deserves Smash representation more than a couple of the franchises that actually got some. But such is life.

They do look insanely fun to play, if insanely difficult. Probably too much so for me. XD

One day I'll give 'em a shot. Something just always comes up.

Stories and characters are pretty neat, too!
Byakuren here in particular.

Well, I don't know about that. I don't know much about the story of these games. Just that it's very anime, so I probably wouldn't enjoy it, myself. But gameplay and music are the main draws here, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Imagine stuff like this in Smash. One can dream, we still have one character left, and I have no hope left for the character I want.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh yeah, Touhou's a huge deal. It's a long-running indie franchise that's been going on since the 90s, which is saying something for a franchise made by one guy who studied music, not game making.

He also made the art.
Which, uh, isn't THAT great. XD
The spin-off games have slightly better character designs, but he's getting better every game!

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not gonna lie, I feel like Touhou deserves Smash representation more than a couple of the franchises that actually got some. But such is life.

Truth

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I don't know about that. I don't know much about the story of these games. Just that it's very anime, so I probably wouldn't enjoy it, myself. But gameplay and music are the main draws here, anyway.

Not even, honestly. The stories are actually pretty down to earth, for the most part.
Even despite how wacky they can get at times. Like... in one game, the final boss is so starved for company, she creates earthquakes in the hopes someone will find out it was her. xD

But the really "anime" aspects of it come mostly from the fanbase.

2 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

lol

Fun fact: those are the same people who made the FOE song for Etrian Odyssey. XD

As for the song Shrimpy posted: It's nice to finally recognize all these characters!
Also, fun fact: Cirno is a pretty no-name early boss that reappears as a mid-boss in other games after her debut. She just... doesn't have any lines in those reappearances. XD

Edited by TeeheeFlames

6 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

He also made the art.

He made everything. Everything. In a series that at this point has more titles than FE, has been going for almost three decades and is exceedingly popular.

Seriously, how isn't it in Smash still? Sakurai, you absolute...!

Which, uh, isn't THAT great. XD
The spin-off games have slightly better character designs, but he's getting better every game!

Well, I mean, yeah. The guy is clearly no artist. But he had to make do. I don't believe he had the budget to hire a professional.

But the really "anime" aspects of it come mostly from the fanbase.

I've heard as much. For starters, there's definitely a certain... disconnect, between the official character designs and the fanmade ones. I don't think I need to say more, do I?

Also, fun fact: Cirno is a pretty no-name early boss that reappears as a mid-boss in other games after her debut. She just... doesn't have any lines in those reappearances. XD

She's pretty obviously one of the memes of the franchise.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He made everything. Everything. In a series that at this point has more titles than FE and has been going for almost three decades.

Seriously, how

And its popularity eclipses that of Fire Emblem by a country mile.
Case in point: even the least popular Touhou character has more fanart made of them than the most popular of Fire Emblem characters. Hell, they even have more fanwork than friggin' Fate. FATE.

I think it's safe to say the dude struck gold.

Well, I mean, yeah. The guy is clearly no artist. But he had to make do. I don't believe he had the budget to hire a professional.

It stands to reason, yeah. Which is why it's interesting that the fighting game spin--offs have a different artist. A really good one, at that.

I've heard as much. For starters, there's definitely a certain... disconnect, between the official character designs and the fanmade ones. I don't think I need to say more, do I?

I know exactly what you're referring to, I believe.
The guy has deliberately avoided all common fanservice and anime tropes when making his characters, while the fanbase's portrayal of them... didn't.

I believe I read somewhere that he doesn't mind it too much, though.

She's pretty obviously one of the memes of the franchise.

Looks that way!

3 minutes ago, Teeheemperor said:

Yeah the IOSYS dudes and dudettes are freaking crazy xD

Indeed. XD

One of them (i think) is a vtuber now fyi, and even her songs have the IOSYS touch lol

This is weirdly catchy. XD

Edited by TeeheeFlames

3 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

while the fanbase's portrayal of them... didn't.

Rule34

3 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

Indeed. XD

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejl1ePmm1Yw

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

One can dream, we still have one character left, and I have no hope left for the character I want.

Wasn't it two?

(Though yeah, your man is a distant chance. Unfortunately. No more bosses, how disappointing)

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Seriously, how isn't it in Smash still? Sakurai, you absolute...!

Is there any Touhou that has presence on anything Ninty (And no, I will count Touhoumon the day hell rises to meet us)? Or is this just a "Man, wouldn't it be nice?" kind of deal?

Case in point: even the least popular Touhou character has more fanart made of them than the most popular of Fire Emblem characters. Hell, they even have more fanwork than friggin' Fate. FATE.

I feel like I've heard about Touhou entirely on the side, as something popular but mostly online and not being a titanic series.

Have I.... just been in the wrong circle to just know it exists and isn't insanely popular as you put it?

(At this point I should just shut up as I clearly don't understand)

5 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

Meanwhile, FE has 8 characters in Smash while Sakurai pretends Touhou doesn't exist. I know I'm sounding like a salty Smash fan here, but c'mon. Surely even the most rabid FE fans here see the issue with this?

Most certainly, yes.

8 minutes ago, TeeheeFlames said:

I know exactly what you're referring to, I believe.
The guy has deliberately avoided all common fanservice and anime tropes when making his characters, while the fanbase's portrayal of them... didn't.

Yes.

Exactly.

Rule34

Even the more innocent artwork I've seen of Touhou characters attaches big balloons to their chests, while the official designs tend to... well, not.

Just now, Dayni said:

Wasn't it two?

No, I only ever wanted Porky.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Is there any Touhou that has presence on anything Ninty (And no, I will count Touhoumon the day hell rises to meet us)? Or is this just a "Man, wouldn't it be nice?" kind of deal?

This is the most likely reason they keep ignoring its existence. From what I've gathered, they're on PC first and foremost. ZUN is not fond of the idea to port his games to consoles, it seems. Still, in Japan (and heck, even elsewhere to an extent) Touhou is just... so much more relevant than like half of the franchises that actually got in, it's not even funny.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I feel like I've heard about Touhou entirely on the side, as something popular but mostly online and not being a titanic series.

Have I.... just been in the wrong circle to just know it exists and isn't insanely popular as you put it?

Yes. 100%. I mean, for fuck's sake, even I've known it for a really long time, and you know how I am with this stuff.