Tina: 8.90

Lara: 8.92

Fin: 9.06

Sara: 9.11

Nanna: 9.13

Safy: 9.48

Asvel: 9.58

Some points of interest:

- Asvel, best character in the game? Pretty interesting in my mind, because I always used Asvel as kind of a niche bosskiller/nuke, not really a solid character who could carry the game. Possibly just a result of bias points?

- Nanna seems pretty high, again, is it bias? She has a lot of perks, but she's not exceptionally good at anything.

- Brighton is EXTREMELY low. Like, seriously, what the hell? He's your best unit in Manster which should probably alone be worth more than a 7, but that's just my opinion.

- A large portion of the cast is higher than a 5/10, which should be a "mediocre" unit. Is this inflation by bias, or is most of the cast of Thracia just plain good? I'm inclined to say a little of both, but it's interesting to compare to some of the other games (SNES and GBA games seem to be higher rated, while the later games seem to go across the spectrum more evenly).

Nothing else sticks out as particularly abnormal. Shanam is the worst character in the game with Miranda as a close second.

I started with Thracia a little while ago and on elite mode, so I might not have much right of speaking, but i'm a bit suprised with some characters.

Brighton has been extremly good so far with tanky stats and wrath to get good offense. He can even hold his own indoors with his pretty good starting sword rank.

I don't really get Nanna so far either. Staves are great, horses are great and charisma is even better, but she has pretty sucky stats and E staves, not to mention the fact that Thracia isn't extremely nice to ponies.

I kinda expected that Robert would be pretty worthless outside of elite mode.

Nanna's placement is the biggest abnormality I see there. Her base staff WEXP is only second to Tina but she has no staff that adds 10 per use or any promotion gain for it. With 20 uses to go before hitting D rank, which an Asvel promoted at chapter 7 gets right away, you have to wonder if it's worth shoving the Torch staff and few Relives (in comparison to Physic that is) you get. In a low turn setting, she probably won't even reach C rank.

Edited by Sirius

I'm pretty sure Brighton is low because a few raters didn't like his low growths much, especially his speed. In the same vein, Hicks could've been a bit higher as well.

I'd say this game has a lot less shitty units than some of the later games. Aside of units like Miranda and Shanam, units joining late in the game are actually competant. Then you look at someone like Tomas in FE12, who has difficulty to be even good in Normal mode.

Fatigue also forces you to use a bit more filler units to cycle out on fatigued units. You might even experience with a new unit and like him enough to be a mainstay in your army.

Edited by Dio

I'm pretty sure Brighton is low because a few raters didn't like his low growths much, especially his speed. In the same vein, Hicks could've been a bit higher as well.

Well, it's not like you even need speed in this game. I recall a post by someone quite a while ago outlining how Dagda could be useful and they pretty much showed that 90% of the enemies in Thracia have like some abysmal amount of AS. Unfortunately I can't recall who posted it or in what topic, but I remember it being an interesting read.

As for Robert, I feel he's a little lower than he might deserve... he's far from good, but I'm also not convinced that he's the third worst unit in the game. I honestly think he has more merit than Kein or Alva. Or at least Ronan.

I think Nanna's greatest assets are being able to keep up with your mounted units on outdoor maps, mainly 9 (if you go down), 13, 14, 16, 19, and some others, and being able to survive being attacked. Safy, Tina and Sleuf, aside from having horrible movement (which is fine in indoor maps, but not outside), are pretty much dead if they're caught, so it's great having someone, who not only has huge range and canto, can stay alive and even dish out some damage if needed. You only have so many physic staves, especially in Fe5 where they're 5 uses. I'd give her around 8.5, so I don't see her score being too unreasonable considering bias.

My biggest issues are with Halvan and especially Brighton. Halvan is just Othin without wrath or pugi, he's still amazing, better than at least Homer, Shiva, and Eyrios. How Brighton is so low is dumbfounding. One of your better units in Manster, always great combat with wrath (seriously, wrath alone should have pushed him up to at least 8, wrath is broken when combined with tanky units), stays tanky throughout. Sure, his stats are lower than say, hicks, but wrath and scrolls completely negate that downside.

Edited by Davinatorman

Well, it's not like you even need speed in this game. I recall a post by someone quite a while ago outlining how Dagda could be useful and they pretty much showed that 90% of the enemies in Thracia have like some abysmal amount of AS. Unfortunately I can't recall who posted it or in what topic, but I remember it being an interesting read.

As for Robert, I feel he's a little lower than he might deserve... he's far from good, but I'm also not convinced that he's the third worst unit in the game. I honestly think he has more merit than Kein or Alva. Or at least Ronan.

That was Mekkah in his own rating thread years ago. I'd like to see what's the biggest difference between then and now.

Ronan at least gets early chip and is deployed for free in three chapters, on top of movement shenanigans.

Edited by Dio

Yea, but Robert at least has a horse. He can at least conceivably ferry someone around while still dealing player phase chip damage in a couple chapters, and his long-term prospects aren't horrendous unlike Ronan's. I dunno, I never found Ronan to be terribly useful. It's not like chipping in the first few chapters is that big a deal when you can just have Eyvel carve a path through them effortlessly anyway.

Found the Dagda post for anybody interested (scroll down a bit). It seems that 10-12 AS is the magic number for doubling a lot of enemies, which isn't asking a whole lot even for Brighton.

Edited by Silvercrow

Brighton is lower then Machua? Geese... he is a tank with wraith and the guy who keeps the group alive in Manster.

I would say Nanna is finer where she is, though. Othin might be a very good fighter but so are others. As far as being a mounted healer and charisma goes, she faces no competition for most of the game. Amalda doesn't even exist at all half the time.

And Charisma is incredible. This skill alone gives her a ridiculous versatility since it makes pretty much everything more likely to get your way. And her physical stats aren't even that bad when put against your average Thracia grunt.

I'm more irritated that Tina is almost as high. Sure, she also has unique utility. But it only has limited charges. If Tina runs out of thief staff uses, that's it. Or she needs valuable resources for another few charges.

And of course Nanna can actually fight. Nanna's utility lies in her class itself and she has a skill that is always active and helps everyone. Even Tina's thieving attempts.

Also, I have to say, I am not surprised about the overall averages being that high. As I said enemies are really weak for the most part, for one thing.

But even more so, there are few units who you can't say something positive about because of how the game is designed. Personal weapons, PCC, special classes, supports, leadership... There is just so much stuff that makes a unit stand out in this game.

People would laugh about someone like Pahn in every other game but because of Thracia's unique mechanics he is one of the highest rated units.

And indoor chapters are quite effective in knocking the otherwise so overpowered cavaliers down a peck. They loose move and have to use swords. Suddenly unmounted Axe fighters are a lot more effective. And really, everyone who can use more then swords unmounted benefits from those chapters. Plus, I found ballista quite effective in discouraging heroic charges anyway.

Edited by BrightBow

I think Tina's spot is well earned. Even though thief is limited, being able to steal 90% of the items in the game from anywhere on the map is a godsend only she has, and well worth two or three of Safy's repair uses. Need several warp staves? Np, just go to 21x and steal all of them effortlessly. Want to steal some 20 bld dude's weapon but don't have a thief with high enough bld? No problem, just take it with Tina. The versatility thief staff alone has is amazing, and unlock is also situationally useful too (probably mainly used in 18). She could maybe go down slightly though, as I think Dean and Fergus are somewhat more useful.

Olwen has always been over rated, but her score is a bit more sober than I might have expected. Having her above totally solid people like Brighton is a bit much, but whatever. Machua over Brighton, even by a little bit, is ridiculous.

Even ignoring the staffers, Asvel isn't MVP material. Othin and Fin and Fergus have way more combat utility and don't get fatigued every other chapter. It's also worth noting that quality defense is harder to come by than offense, and in that Asvel loses out to a lot of people.

I think people were assuming ambush on Olwen, which makes her pretty good. But yeah, Brighton is better.

Asvel has bosskilling utility that literally two units can match. Early game Evayle and Sety and neither of them are around very long. That and D staves on promotion give him something over Fergus, Othin, and Finn.

I feel like Galzus should be below Cyas and maybe Amalda.

There aren't many people Fin and Fergus can't kill, and I'm not sure there's anyone Othin can't kill (maybe aside from Gomes). Asvel can also potentially be one rounded by bosses with master weapons, and Othin generally will not be. Staves don't really pay off until he hits C (infinite range Physic <3), but its still a good point.

There aren't many people Fin and Fergus can't kill, and I'm not sure there's anyone Othin can't kill (maybe aside from Gomes). Asvel can also potentially be one rounded by bosses with master weapons, and Othin generally will not be. Staves don't really pay off until he hits C (infinite range Physic <3), but its still a good point.

Who else can kill Gomes easily? I personally think Othin is better than Asvel, but I can see how Asvel would be rated higher. Master weapon bosses don't come until chapter 14, and by then Asvel will probably have speed maxed out.

Othin is locked to 6 Movement all the time, which gets especially bad as Sages and Swordmasters get 7 once they promote, nevermind guys like Fin, Fergus and Brighton getting 9. I don't see how that's better than Asvel, who can promote as early as chapter 6 to get tons of utility with staves and massive offense with magic. His Defense isn't great, but he has a lot of avoid anyway so he shouldn't be hit that much, especially with supports, leadership stars and Charisma around.