New Heroes & Ascended Laegjarn

IGdood

extremely happy Astrid finally got added, but also tremendously disappointed she's yet another green bow cavalry unit

as for Volke, Marcia, Tanith and Bertram, i'm happy for them as well

man, the wait for another PoR banner which could POTENTIALLY add Boyd, Kieran, Geoffrey and/or Makalov is gonna be tough

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanith, huh? Anyway, this batch of heroes was a nice surprise. Loving Marcia's voice -- it's perfect for her! I hope one of her lines is "Aw, crackers." But the voice actress really portrayed Marcia's feelings in that line about "having to quit." Volke is super cool, too! It's neat that his dagger prevents his special cooldown from being lowered, and Lethality is finally here!

I'm mixed on Laegjarn's design. Love the burning eye. A bit annoyed at IS reaching for cop-out designs like having an open chest again, though.

And haaaaaaa! Guess the green final boss trend continues. Man, I really thought they would make Eitri red, but I guess not.

Edit: Oh, I guess Bertram is getting in too. 'Kay.

@Florete

Actually, those are bat ears. Her design was based on a bat (and the ears are in her normal design as well.) Leavateinn's was based on a raven.

@NegativeExponents- @LoneStar

Good points. I think I unconsciously noticed Makalov was missing, but it didn't quite reach my conscious mind until you pointed it out. But it's especially strange that he's missing since it seems like a gambling club is forming in the Order of Heroes (Joshua, Gerrik, and that grappling guy, at least.) I thought that alone would summon him. Everything's just set up so well for him, especially for a FB. I guess they're just waiting for a break in the gambling chatter. Maybe Marcia will make friends with Malice and Hilda over similar woes.

Edited by Mercakete

If we were going to get only one male on this banner, I'm glad it was Volke.

Been seeing Makalov brought up a few times here, and while it would've made sense for him to be here because of Astrid and Marcia, I'm glad he's not.  He's one of the worst characters in the franchise.  He's the definition of human trash.

Lucia and Calill are the only women left from Path of Radiance not yet playable in Heroes.  If that game gets another banner, we will most likely see them (and if we're lucky, Geoffrey, Bastian, and maybe Largo).

Bertram is a slightly odd choice for the GHB here, he has nothing to do with Begnion, if ever so slightly something with Volke. But, Oliver has already been used up, and there aren't a whole lot of PoR villains left to add. And I'm not sure how many would seriously be interested in a Devdan GHB b/c enemy recruitable in PoR.

9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

And while I'm speaking of Astrid, I may actually dislike her now. Wasn't big on her as a character or unit back in PoR/RD to begin with, but she ends up on the banner despite being lower ranked than Boyd, Stefan, or Tormod (the latter two who would've worked for a Begnion-themed banner anyway) and gets a prf over Marcia, whom she scored lower than. Not to mention she's yet another green bow cavalier. We literally got Sedgar as a GHB on the last New Heroes banner. Fuck Astrid.

I'm not sure if you can really "blame" her though.

Technically, you can't blame a fictional character for anything, considering they aren't real, their actions aren't real. And what actions they fictionally do, are not their own, since they have no agency being not real and everything is entirely the result of IRL writers.

However, if we don't go that far, and make a fictional character "responsible" for their actions within a fictional world, I would still say you can't blame them for making gameplay choices. Astrid could be blamed for falling in love with Makalov, but I don't think you can blame her for coming into FEH at the time she has with the bow color she has. Since gameplay in such details is a wholly separate matter from story. Hate IS for including Astrid here and in such a way, hate the IS for accidentally creating the FEH Cult of Reinhardt too, hate them for botching Sanaki's personality, I wouldn't blame the characters themselves in any of these situations.

-But I understand what you had written was a gut reaction made in the initial moment. Those can understandably be raw.

57 minutes ago, FailWood said:

Been seeing Makalov brought up a few times here, and while it would've made sense for him to be here because of Astrid and Marcia, I'm glad he's not.  He's one of the worst characters in the franchise.  He's the definition of human trash.

He is, but we kinda crossed that bridge already when the pirate banner included Lifis who tortured villagers and who's implied to be a rapist. 

Obligatory “quick, act surprised!”

That said, I really hate Ascended Laegjarn’s design, and the only Tellius characters I care about are Elincia, some of her coterie and a couple of the Laguz so this is a pretty easy skip for me. Will probably pull red with the tickets and hope for Volke, but no skin off my nose if nothing shows up.

Happy hunting for those who have a character they love on the banner!

45 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He is, but we kinda crossed that bridge already when the pirate banner included Lifis who tortured villagers and who's implied to be a rapist. 

Wasn't Lifis also the one who gave away Leif's location to kick off the events of Thracia 776?  If that's true, then that's something he has over Makalov; plot importance, so at least adding him made sense even though he's also a scumbag.

Well, not that anyone asked, but these are thoughts on this Banner:

1) I don't care about anyone on this banner, not even that much about ascended Laegjarn I guess, idk I think I expected a little more from her (like to be as good as A!Frjorm I guess?), she has some nice stats though (and I like that she is an atk/spd unit with existent defense) so I will free/ticket pull for her. (well, good for me, I can keep spending my orbs on the ninja banner I guess)

2) Lethality is awesome, it was about time to have it. Hope it is inheritable.

3) A!Laegjarn has flames coming out out of her left eye, just like Surtr and... surprise, surprise, Muspell doesn't have his left eye! This makes me think if Surtr was always being controlled by Muspell like Laegjarn is now, or if its just a coincidence/design choice to show that they're E V I L (I know that Laegjarn is not evil, but since she can't control her own body now, you kinda get the idea)

4) Of course that Eitri had to be a green unit, just of course she had to... It doesnt even fit her AT ALL. I agree with @Tybrosion though, it HAS to be for the memes. Like... Why isn't she Red? Or... common, at least Gray?

5) Also, is everyone saying that Astrid is a better Annette in a horse just because both their weapons have the +1 mov effect or there's someone else I missed? I don't have Annette but for me she sounds 1.000.000 million times better because her weapon can target Def or Res, that already puts her miles away, how can Astrid be better?(I genuinely wanna know) 

7 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

5) Also, is everyone saying that Astrid is a better Annette in a horse just because both their weapons have the +1 mov effect or there's someone else I missed? I don't have Annette but for me she sounds 1.000.000 million times better because her weapon can target Def or Res, that already puts her miles away, how can Astrid be better?(I genuinely wanna know) 

Annette's support utility is far more important than her ability to hit the lower defensive stat.

Annette only grants +1 movement when using a Rally, but Astrid grants both +1 movement and Bonus Doubler.

11 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Ascended Laegjarn looks great! Sure, her artwork is a little more fanservice-y than I'd like, but I'll take it gladly.

Part of why I liked Laegjarn so much is that her original outfit almost made sense for a warrior (minus the chestplate), so... yeah, this feels pretty daft from a design perspective. She's still one of my favorite OCs though, so I do still want her! Good luck on your summons, everyone!

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Part of why I liked Laegjarn so much is that her original outfit almost made sense for a warrior (minus the chestplate), so... yeah, this feels pretty daft from a design perspective. She's still one of my favorite OCs though, so I do still want her! Good luck on your summons, everyone!

Almost 380 orbs. Hope to get at least three copies ^^

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Part of why I liked Laegjarn so much is that her original outfit almost made sense for a warrior (minus the chestplate), so... yeah, this feels pretty daft from a design perspective.

This version isn't wearing armor at all, which is perfectly fine for a ranged unit.

I'm more worried about her heels because there's no way in hell she's riding a horse with those.

Astrid and Eitri being green is just silly, and I'm joining the complaints about Laegjarn's outfit. Volke looks fun though, and I'm glad for easy access to Marcia (and Bertram).

7 hours ago, FailWood said:

Lucia and Calill are the only women left from Path of Radiance not yet playable in Heroes.  If that game gets another banner, we will most likely see them (and if we're lucky, Geoffrey, Bastian, and maybe Largo).

That's an interesting detail. If we look at Radiant Dawn as well, that adds Laura, Meg, Fiona, Heather, Lyre, and (ignoring seasonals) Vika. That's it - three or four banners worth.

Volke really wants Desperation on B or Windsweep Sacred Seal if it will ever get released. He can also be a Blazing nuke.

Astrid is okay. She is more for the AI than the player in my opinion. I do not thnk anyone is going to use her over a Dancer/Singer.

Marcia got Fury, so that is nice. I still got a bunch of Hinatas, but other players might be running low, so having an additional source in a different color is nice.

Laegjarn: Flame Ascendent just needs Windsweep or Watersweep. Desperation works too. She feels a bit meh compared to Fjorm: Ice Ascendent.

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

@XRay I'm telling you, we're not getting easy access to field buffs higher than +6.

Maybe in another year or two or three. Debuff -7 is already pretty easy to achieve with Sabotages, and we already got tier 4 Hones and Fortifies, so I think it is a matter of time before they make it easier to get higher buffs.

54 minutes ago, Othin said:

That's an interesting detail. If we look at Radiant Dawn as well, that adds Laura, Meg, Fiona, Heather, Lyre, and (ignoring seasonals) Vika. That's it - three or four banners worth.

We're still overdue for a new Radiant Dawn banner.  Hoping the Dawn Brigade makes it so Nolan can finally be in.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not sure if you can really "blame" her though.

Technically, you can't blame a fictional character for anything, considering they aren't real, their actions aren't real. And what actions they fictionally do, are not their own, since they have no agency being not real and everything is entirely the result of IRL writers.

However, if we don't go that far, and make a fictional character "responsible" for their actions within a fictional world, I would still say you can't blame them for making gameplay choices. Astrid could be blamed for falling in love with Makalov, but I don't think you can blame her for coming into FEH at the time she has with the bow color she has. Since gameplay in such details is a wholly separate matter from story. Hate IS for including Astrid here and in such a way, hate the IS for accidentally creating the FEH Cult of Reinhardt too, hate them for botching Sanaki's personality, I wouldn't blame the characters themselves in any of these situations.

-But I understand what you had written was a gut reaction made in the initial moment. Those can understandably be raw.

I already didn't particularly like her to begin with.

And sure, I'm very well aware that you can't "hate" a character for the decisions their creators made (because that's dumb), but that doesn't mean I'm going to be very happy whenever I see her.

Colour aside, there isn’t really anything to complain about regarding Astrid. The bad implementation is Marcia/Tanith. The former is popular enough to fill a premium slot and the latter is already in the game. By being free units, they are reducing the capacity to fill the roster.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “fuck them” though, that’s disrespectful to those who like the character.

Edited by Baldrick

Tanith looks surprisingly good!  Was afraid they were going to mess up her slightly tomboy look and make her into a waifu.

I might be the one of the rare peeps that likes Laegjarn's new outfit better. xD  That might be because I was always a penekoR fan though.

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Bertram.....has Instant Sword+

Ugh. I hope that doesn't mean he's going to be another slow unit with an Instant weapon like Fernand and Balthus. I have no idea why they haven't yet realized that player-phase effects are pointless on units with shitty player phase performance.

At the very least, give us either a better version of Brash Assault or a player-phase version of Quick Riposte, or better yet, give us Weaponbreakers that don't get completely shut down by Null Follow-Up so that slow units aren't completely useless on player phase if they don't have a Prf that grants them a guaranteed follow-up.

An "offensive Guard Bearing" for cavalry that grants a guaranteed follow-up on the first round of combat during each player phase would also be cool.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I like A!Laegjarn's outfit, that golden bat ears hat resembles an egyptian headress. 

I really liked her original outfit too (probably even more), because it almost looked like something a warrior could use and, sure the one she has now doesn't, but lack of practicality in the outfits is not something I'm usually bothered about unless its something specially grotesque (*Cough AVERSA *Cough). And, well, for some reason no one complained about Fjorm being an armoured unit that has no protection from her upper hips down (except for a half-assed knee and ankle armour).

Also, great that she is gray, I thought that she would be, because then Nifl, Muspell, A!Fjorm and A!Laegjarn would have the 4 colours in them. I'm still pissed that she doesn't have close counter though.

EDIT: GHB units are bullshit nowadays, gotta admit that I don't even bother with most of them anymore.

Edited by ARMADS!!!