Choose Your Legends 8 is live!

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Huh. So Tormod isn't in the top five of Tellius? Strange since he's perpetually snubbed.

I assume they list the rankings alphabetically to prevent tactical voting

To limit tactical voting, I'd say. Posting these at all massively encourages tactical voting and I'm against it for that reason. While these results are entirely expected, the truth is that these characters probably only have a few hundred votes each. Winners only get a few ten thousand votes each, and after just two days out of voting they're going to have less than a quarter of that. But by going on the list and looking like they have a chance, votes are going to get compounded on the listed characters as a lot of people would rather vote for someone they think will win so there vote is meaningful rather than their favorite. The ultimate expression is probably the Gatekeeper. People probably would have memed him pretty high, but without the midterm results I doubt he would have won, let alone become one of the most voted characters in the history of the contest.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

The ultimate expression is probably the Gatekeeper. People probably would have memed him pretty high, but without the midterm results I doubt he would have won, let alone become one of the most voted characters in the history of the contest.

Well, he was 2nd at interim, so he probably would have held that even without. Interim may have just helped boost him to 1st.

The real historical winner of interim results was Veronica, who shot from 5th to 2nd.

Edited by Florete

Verty interesting that they shared the Top 5 for each title as well. I am actually glad that even though Nidhoggr is top 5 most voted Heroes character she is not in the Top 20, so her chances of winning are quite low.

So... if we consider the possibility of a Engage Sweep (all 4 CYL units beging from Engage), and considering that we also have the top 5 most voted for each title... Right now, a Full Engage CYL would be:

Males Division:

• Alear
  • Diamant

Female Division (two of the three names below):

• Alear
  • Ivy
  • Yunaka

31 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Verty interesting that they shared the Top 5 for each title as well. I am actually glad that even though Nidhoggr is top 5 most voted Heroes character she is not in the Top 20, so her chances of winning are quite low.

So... if we consider the possibility of a Engage Sweep (all 4 CYL units beging from Engage), and considering that we also have the top 5 most voted for each title... Right now, a Full Engage CYL would be:

Males Division:

• Alear
  • Diamant

Female Division (two of the three names below):

• Alear
  • Ivy
  • Yunaka

Count me one of the people surprised Alcryst or Alfred weren't in the top two. While everyone expected Ivy and Yunaka, I'm surprised F!Alear's with them. I like her and wanted her to win but I assumed that was a CYL9 dream at best. I'm glad Lyon is still in the top 20 and Veyle made it in too. I'm fond of the dragon twins from the DLC, but I imagine them being DLC (and said DLC being rushed out the door) isn't doing them any favors. Oh well.

I'm curious to see where this ends up. An Engage Sweep would be pretty weird, but IS seems to have learned their lesson from how utterly boring CYL 4 was so I'm hoping we get some fun kits. Of course it helps that all four of these characters have vastly different temperaments compared to all four winners being stoic to various degrees (even Claude and Lysithea were depicted as such for the most part).

Oh, also: if we do get an Engage sweep I also hope the web event is something fun and not just a glorified advert for Engage - or if it is (and Engage needs it unlike 3H) they make it fun and not the cringey snoozefest that was the House leaders giving powerpoint presentations on why their nation was the best...

Edited by DefyingFates

35 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Count me one of the people surprised Alcryst or Alfred weren't in the top two. While everyone expected Ivy and Yunaka, I'm surprised F!Alear's with them. I like her and wanted her to win but I assumed that was a CYL9 dream at best. I'm glad Lyon is still in the top 20 and Veyle made it in too. I'm fond of the dragon twins from the DLC, but I imagine them being DLC (and said DLC being rushed out the door) isn't doing them any favors. Oh well.

I'm curious to see where this ends up. An Engage Sweep would be pretty weird, but IS seems to have learned their lesson from how utterly boring CYL 4 was so I'm hoping we get some fun kits. Of course it helps that all four of these characters have vastly different temperaments compared to all four winners being stoic to various degrees (even Claude and Lysithea were depicted as such for the most part).

Oh, also: if we do get an Engage sweep I also hope the web event is something fun and not just a glorified advert for Engage - or if it is (and Engage needs it unlike 3H) they make it fun and not the cringey snoozefest that was the House leaders giving powerpoint presentations on why their nation was the best...

Please give the Sommie Costume to one of the Alears. lol

Alear could have one of the Emblem transformation as Brave version... that would be neat. Although, I can see them going with this for Alear (spoilers from Engage):

Spoiler

The Dragon Monarch attire. But if both Alears win, I don't expect both to have it. They could also save this attire for Legendary Male Alear.

yoTcalG.png mo8RTrq.png

For Diamant and Ivy, I would expect this (spoilers from Engage):

Spoiler

Their King and Queen attires from the credits.

BQOFxlX.png awlfplv.png

For Yunaka... I have no idea...

8 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Please give the Sommie Costume to one of the Alears. lol

That's something that's a bit unfortunate about no Sommie. There would be so much potential for alts given dressing up is part of the Sommie experience.

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's something that's a bit unfortunate about no Sommie. There would be so much potential for alts given dressing up is part of the Sommie experience.

I am one person that doesn't really care that Sommie is not a voting option, and honestly... I prefer that way.

I know people can argue that they could make Sommie a Beast unit or whatever, but I couldn't care less if he never come to FEH. To me, he would be Gatekeeper all over again, and would win CYL just for the memes. At least with Gatekeeper he is a character with a voice, and can have some personality... even if a very bland one. Sommie doesn't even have that. He would be like... combining Gatekeeper's community meme with Young Soren's no voiced lines and only groans.

Also, do you really want to see a damage Sommie art? Because I don't.

Fascinating. Seeing the top 20 had me thinking Alcryst and Rosado were Sigurd's biggest competition, but Engage's top 5 shows they're both below Diamant and Alear M. And I really don't expect Alear M to win.

I'm going all-in on Sigurd here, I think he has a real shot.

Well, I'm a bit tempted to give Alfonse a vote, but nope. Third vote for Elena cast today!

Also, earlier I was thinking about what an Elena FB could be like and (perhaps unsurprisingly) dang did my imagination turn up something wholesome. Not sure if anyone would care to read it, though, and the directly impacts whether or not I bother writing this fan FB convo. Hmmm actually, that sounds like it could be fun. That is... What sort of stuff would you guys like to see in your CYL pick's FB?

Edit: I wanted to at least rough out an idea for the Elena FB concept I had, but I can't spend much time on it right now, so I won't write full dialogue. Still, you can look at it if you'd like to.

Spoiler

Elena FB (Brave or not - doesn't matter for the purpose of this concept)

C

Elena has heard about her children being in Askr, which is a bit surprising to her since the last time she saw them, they were little. She's looking around the Order to see if she can find them. She runs into Child Ike + Mist (duo hero) and spends some time talking with their cute, innocent selves and meeting some of the friends they've made (child Soren, maybe child Boyd, possibly others.)

B

Elena happens upon PoR Ike and Mist, but they're busy with their training (or talking to people) so she decides not to interrupt and just watches from a distance. She is surprised to see how much they've grown, both bodily and in their abilities and development as people. She notices that Mist is even using her old staff. (Mist can have "Elena's Staff" in Heroes.) To her surprise, she is happened upon by Brave Ike, who, himself, is surprised to see her. It's a very emotional reunion, as seeing her son dressed like his father touches her heart, and Ike is finally reunited with Elena. Elena herself only learns then just how young Ike and Mist were when she died.

A

Troubled by the vague news of her death (as Ike didn't explain how she died, whether because this version of him didn't know or because it was just something he thought would be better coming from someone else) and wondering what happened to the medallion she had been entrusted with in the past, Elena sees Legendary Ike as he leads the heroes under his command, whether in action or in a practice battle. She marvels at the man he's grown into, watching from a distance for a little while. But as she's watching, she is approached by Fallen Ike. Elena is taken by surprise, and is aghast at the sight of her son in his berserked state clutching the medallion.

S

Desperate to save her son, Elena resolves to ignore the danger posed by the state Ike is in, and is about to try to take the medallion from him when she is stopped by the strong but gentle hand of Griel. He'd brought one of the herons with him (honestly, it could be Leanne, Reyson, or Rafiel; I don't think it matters much which it is.) Their heron friend sings a calming galdr to lessen the medallion's effects, and Fallen Ike leaves. Griel gently explains that they have been unable to fully free Ike from the effects of the medallion in Askr, though they have been able to at least help him with the aid of the herons' songs. Elena thanks the heron friend, who then decides to give the two some privacy. Elena remarks that she didn't know that Griel had been summoned too, and Griel mentions how Elena must have come from some time in the past. She agrees, and talks about how much their children have grown, bursting with pride and joy at having been able to see them in so many phases of life. However, she knows that she dies while they are still young, and asks if Griel knows what happened. Somber, he tells her of her death, and apologizes. However, her response is gentle. She says that she is glad that he was able to be there to help Ike and Mist grow into the people they become, and that she is happy that her life could have purchased such a wonderful future for her family.

Dang it. I want this FB really badly now.

Edited by Mercakete

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Alear could have one of the Emblem transformation as Brave version... that would be neat. Although, I can see them going with this for Alear (spoilers from Engage):

For Diamant and Ivy, I would expect this (spoilers from Engage):

Yeah, that's the safest bet and unlike the 3H character literally just getting their promoted outfits (save Lysithea getting a slight recolor) those have only been seen in art so far. It'd be nice if they got some extra features at the very least though, like references to their aides/ families.

I'm voting for Brom, but I am kinda sad to see Caeda and Nino not in the Top 20. Oh well.

As for the Top 5 per game, that could change the dynamic of voting. Alcryst isn't in Engage's Top 5 like a lot of people were expecting, so voters will either rally to make him higher, or they'll concentrate on Diamant or Male Alear instead.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

As far as fanbases go, avatars are effectively different characters. With the minor exception of Robin, there's always been very little fan overlap for the separate avatar genders, so it's unlikely one would ever siphon votes from the other.

8 hours ago, Medeus said:

You're overestimating the overlap between the two avatar genders. For instance, FByleth winning two years ago didn't catapult MByleth to win the following year and he only at best got a fraction of her votes. I wouldn't expect everyone who prefers FAlear to automatically jump to MAlear or vice versa.

While probably true I also think that their is a reason both versions of a single avatar has not won at the same time before despite being clear front runners. I think it's mostly a case of people having multiple charcters they want to vote for and for some reason I cant explain it has hit the avtars the most.

Their typically are more ballots that have votes for more than one charcter on them than their is completly full ballots to a single charcter. I just feel for some arbitrary reason it somehow hits avatars the most. Just a sense I got from past cyls but maybe this year will be different.

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That and the lords should have gotten Brave outfits rather than just having their regular timeskip promotions. 

I blame Heroes less for that and more Three Houses itself for having those unnecessary mid tier Lord Classes to begin with.

Edited by Jotari

Man, I didn't manage to vote yesterday duo to an unexpected problem that distracted me until... half an hour after the time to vote ended (fuck! had it been just a bit more than half an hour less, Id have voted!)

I find it strange that they don't move the voting period to a month before or a bit after and then include fresh new OCs like that. Don't mind a lot, but it's sorta weird. Maybe they do it to see which OCs people are the most interested in so they can have time to rewrite the book's story a bit to include them more (or to give them a sadder death and "please, pity me" backstory/monolgue before dying).

About the midterm results... I really disliked more than half of the options on the women's side, on the men's side I figure I'd have less chance of being pissed (Engage sweep being the exception), so I figure Im going all for Sharena to try to avoid all of the women's winners being from Engage/3 Houses (wouldn't mind Dorothea though, if someone from 3 Houses was to win).

20 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Threw together a quick table just to easier visualise what's going on with the individual games versus the overall top 20. Apologies for the lack of formatting. Green is top 20 female, blue is top 20 male. Names in alphabetical order so don't get confused by names lower on the list being highlighted but the top ones not.

Caeda Berkut Caeda Ayra Finn Fae
Catria Delthea Clarisse Finn Leif Fir
Minerva Faye Katarina Ishtar Linoan Idunn
Navarre Mae Kris (M) Julia Mareeta Lilina
Tiki Rinea Tiki Sigurd Reinhardt Sophia

Athos L'Arachel Black Knight Black Knight Anna Azura
Lloyd Lyon Elincia Elincia Cordelia Corrin (M)
Ninian Marisa Mia Mia Grima Leo
Nino Myrrh Nephenee Nephenee Robin (F) Takumi
Sonia Seth Titania Zelgius Tharja Xander

Alfonse Itsuki Bernadetta Bernadetta Alear (F)  
Fjorm Maiko Byleth (M) Byleth (M) Alear (M)  
Freyja Tiki Felix Felix Diamant  
Nidhoggr Touma Hilda Shez (F) Ivy  
Sharena Tsubasa Yuri Shez (M) Yunaka  

In Top 20 overall but not Top 5 in their own game

Dorothea Alcryst        
Goldmary Alfred        
Lapis Rosado        
Panette Sylvain        
Veyle          

You can really tell who people want to get more attention, by these results. A lot of attention for TMS characters, in FE7 we have Sonia (who people have been complained that was replaced by Ursula in FEH) and Athos, other characters like Finn, Nephenee, Marisa, Titania, BK, Julia, Linoan (who isn't even on the game), Leo and Takumi (that should have gotten their Legendaries already and were recently cockblocked by L!Camilla), Sharena,... I like how you can notice how people "do their complains" (in terms of who they want into the game or to get more attention on the game) throught the CYL, for a lack of a better term. 

also WTF?? We can still vote for Young Tiki?! Not only in TMS but also in the other games she shows up in! It was her young version that got more votes on the year she won, wasn't it? and yet they gave us adult tiki and let young still be votable...

2 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

also WTF?? We can still vote for Young Tiki?! Not only in TMS but also in the other games she shows up in! It was her young version that got more votes on the year she won, wasn't it? and yet they gave us adult tiki and let young still be votable...

No, it was Adult Tiki that got more votes that year.

I'm quite sure Adult Tiki and Young Tiki have always had separate vote totals. Even Yong Tiki and TMS Tiki are considered separate characters.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm quite sure Adult Tiki and Young Tiki have always had separate vote totals. Even Yong Tiki and TMS Tiki are considered separate characters.

Yes, all of that is true. Young Tiki, Adult Tiki (when she was still on the ballot) and TMS Tiki are all separate options and always have been.

Young Tiki also used to have separate totals for Shadow Dragon and New Mystery, just like every other Archanea character who appears in both games.

Apparently CYL8 is the year of Heroes screwing over the characters I'm voting for, between Reinhardt getting a Rearmed alt now and Tormod being added with a desert alt in the middle of voting.

It's such bad timing for both of them that it almost feels targeted.

20 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Apparently CYL8 is the year of Heroes screwing over the characters I'm voting for, between Reinhardt getting a Rearmed alt now and Tormod being added with a desert alt in the middle of voting.

It's such bad timing for both of them that it almost feels targeted.

Khadein Soren was added mid voting last year (or right before the voting started) and still won, so maybe Tormod's votes won't be too affected.

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

No, it was Adult Tiki that got more votes that year.

37 minutes ago, Jotari said:

31 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yes, all of that is true. Young Tiki, Adult Tiki (when she was still on the ballot) and TMS Tiki are all separate options and always have been.

Young Tiki also used to have separate totals for Shadow Dragon and New Mystery, just like every other Archanea character who appears in both games.

Oh, ok! Thanks for the correction. Does feel less outrageous (or rather, doesn't feel at all then) if that's the case.

18 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Khadein Soren was added mid voting last year (or right before the voting started) and still won, so maybe Tormod's votes won't be too affected.

Perhaps, although Soren was popular enough to be placing within top 2 last year. And with the demote m!Byleth getting a prf weapon while Soren didn't, I think it motivated his fans to vote for him harder. Soren fans were definitely voting for him to get a Brave alt.

Meanwhile, Tormod in a bit of a different situation where he just wants to score as high as he can amongst Tellius characters not already in the game because at this point his votes are most likely "put him in the damn game already!" votes and ... he's technically in the damn game. I don't think anyone voting for him is doing it to get him a Brave alt this year.

Edited by Sunwoo