Mafia Headquarters V4

Kaoz

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after zooming out and scrolling down on a PC instead of a Phone browser, i see them now. Modifying the above post to fit the new theme~

so i was thinking about implementing a permanent mentor system while i was taking my history final. basically what it would do is if a player was new to mafia they would automatically be assigned somebody who signed up to be a mentor or if they just wanted a mentor they would also receive one. this would be in all games rather than just in training games. it would encourage new players to join games and help them improve and hopefully prevent them from joining and then just flaking.

would people be in favor of this or no?

I remember there's a system like that on Epicmafia in certain lobbies (I know the DR Mafia lobby has or had it) and it could work

You'd need some people who would be willing to mentor who may not necessarily play in the games, which can always change since everyone can easily not /in for a game or anything of the sort

I mean, it'd be an interesting idea to bolster the player base, but it's a matter of if the veterans of SFMafia are down for it

I remember there's a system like that on Epicmafia in certain lobbies (I know the DR Mafia lobby has or had it) and it could work

You'd need some people who would be willing to mentor who may not necessarily play in the games, which can always change since everyone can easily not /in for a game or anything of the sort

I mean, it'd be an interesting idea to bolster the player base, but it's a matter of if the veterans of SFMafia are down for it

so sounds like something that we should enlist scorri and helios for

I don't really agree with the mentor stuff because I feel like new players for the most part should learn on their own? And it pretty much takes out a more experienced player who might want to be in the game unless you keep swapping around mentors, but in that case it's just really awkward?

Since I need to take a break from stressful stuff (including mafia), I'd be willing to give a player or two a hand. . .but on the condition that they TALK to me. Dear me, the last time I mentored was kind of a disaster, 'cause my advice was going in one ear and out the other. . .

If we go with the mentor system, we should ask experienced players who are NOT planning on joining said game, since there are a few people who have experience but barely play anymore.

I don't really agree with the mentor stuff because I feel like new players for the most part should learn on their own? And it pretty much takes out a more experienced player who might want to be in the game unless you keep swapping around mentors, but in that case it's just really awkward?

i probably didn't phrase it clearly. what i meant was those who had no intentions to play, but would rather mentor. for example, i won't have the time to play for like the next month time, but i would have the time to at least guide a person so i would sign up as a mentor. (note: i do not feel i am competent enough to mentor so that situation would be hypothetical.)

If there's a mentoring system, I'd say to let my brother join it right now since he has feedbacked that he has no idea what's happening most of the time.

@Prims: Hydraing should be fine as long as there is a limit to how many posts the experienced player can make, if at all. I remember Boron having mentored me and being limited to only five posts throughout the whole game. Something like that can be done so it wouldn't be fully like a Hydra slot. That or you can restrict the mentor from posting at all and only allow them to give advice on the game. The player being mentored should then be restricted from quoting any of their mentor's posts, to cover up the loophole that allows the mentor to make posts by having their student quote or copy/paste their thoughts into the thread.

I might still be inexperienced but I wouldn't mind helping out with the mentoring system at all. If you would let me, that is. Most of the time, I want to be the one playing though lol!

Mentoring is really boring (it's like being in the graveyard except you can't complain like an entitled dick, which is the best part about being in the graveyard); also it's better to just let people figure things out for themselves IMO (there are a lot of guides here and elsewhere that I made use of when I was starting out).

I don't think a mentor system would help as much as just having the "how to play mafia" tips and role info clear and available, or just being able to ask veterans for general tips. I lurked a game or two before playing one, that helps a lot.

Most people figure out things on their own as they play, and many experienced players have so different play style and opinions active mentoring might not suit a new player with different posting styles.

It doesn't get much clearer than a dedicated thread for such information.

I doubt a mentoring system would really work: it would just lead to the mentor themselves playing instead of the newbie (see: training mafia 2). Instead, we should be more welcoming towards newbies, accept that they play worse and don't be confrontational about it.

I doubt a mentoring system would really work: it would just lead to the mentor themselves playing instead of the newbie (see: training mafia 2).

I didn't do this

but I also think like all the other mentors either did or flaked

What I remember from Training mafia was that ZM forgot the game existed until I reminded him. But I didn't play for him either. So our player slot just sort of existed.

If a mentor system gets implemented, let's at least make sure the person who gets a mentor actually wants to play. I don't really care whether it gets implemented or not, though.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I did that whole game was post some general advice on the scum quicktopic and told Junko that he should totally do the gambit when he asked what he should do with his Watcher.

I didn't do this

but I also think like all the other mentors either did or flaked

I tried to get my mentee to talk to me and explain his logic. . .but ask me if he listened.

Modd'd (N64 and ProjectM)

you repeatedly sneer at Project M; I don't trust you on this at all :P:

Edited by Euklyd

I don't think anyone here has had in mind that Mancer's brother is super young and that he probably actually needs the extra help

Most people probably don't need a mentor to get started, but I think that if a person requests help there should be someone there to give them advice and support them.