Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

8 PM my time, which is 15 minutes from now.

Also, dammit. Pulled Lucina as a pitybreaker on the Genealogy banner, which I should be more excited about but I've already had a Lucina for a long time, and the new one is -atk so she's not even better.

Do I go back to the Genealogy banner or do I just go hunting for Eldigan now? I already know I don't care about Fates characters, but ... aaah.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

4 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

There are comparable amounts of people that Cordelia can start Galeforce Chains to the amount that Reinhardt can annihilate.

If we assume Reinhardt optimized for combat and Cordelia optimized for combat have the same number of clear wins, Cordelia necessarily has fewer enemies she can initiate against to trigger Galeforce. This is due to the fact that Cordelia (1) had to sacrifice combat performance to equip Galeforce and (2) killing an opponent in too few attacks fails to trigger Galeforce.

Actually, for an even more comparable situation, an Cordelia optimized for combat necessarily has the same combat performance as an identical Cordelia. However if you switch out Cordelia #2's Special for Galeforce, she (1) loses combat performance and (2) still might not activate Galeforce if she kills something too quickly.

8 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Positioning requirements are more easily borne with higher mobility. And units very much do not have the same positioning requirements---highly mobile units have more places they can stand and still get to a certain square. And, likewise, standing in the same square, highly mobile units can get to more squares---which helps with skills like reposition, dance, and so on.

Theoretically, yes, but I find that in practical situations, positioning at the end of a turn to activate buffs is rarely a problem. By the time players have gotten to Tier 19.5, I think they've had enough practice that it just comes naturally enough to not be an issue.

Except when there are goddamn trees in the way.

Catching up with some replies so here we go.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:17 PM, daisy jane said:

as for actual balance. I adore my planner. i write everything in there so i know what' what. 
I'm sorry you are having a stressful time (HUG)

Speaking of planners, something related but I should print out that schedule that I made and stick to it. Although I have to learn not to be too hard on myself if I fail to stick to it while keeping in mind that when I'm not putting the time I need for other things, I need to evaluate what's preventing me from sticking to the schedule. Just have to keep it pushing.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:40 PM, EricaofRenais said:

What I do is play Heroes to relax and this is a mobile game so it should really only take up about ten minutes every time you play.  I only play Heroes for about 10 minutes at a time and if there is an annoying map that I can't beat I use a guide so I don't spend all my time playing.  What I am trying to say is only play the game for at max 15 minutes then go do something else, unless you are HM grinding then I recommend doing that when you are watching a show/movie at home since you do that with auto battle and just need to tap your phone every once in awhile.

Setting a timer for 15 minutes is a good idea. Time flies when I'm going back and forth with quests and events. 

On 9/1/2018 at 2:07 AM, mampfoid said:

I'm pretty bad in balancing the time I invest into this game myself. I guess you should define a fixed daily time frame where you play and then stop. You'll prioritize automatically, grinding with low reward will seem less and less appealing. 

For myself: I should start reading books again, that should keep me from doing too much grindy stuff. 

On 9/1/2018 at 7:37 AM, Othin said:

What I've been doing is to identify some particularly tedious aspects of the game (like training tower quests) as being more trouble than they're worth and promise myself not to bother with them, then remind myself of that promise as necessary. When you notice something else feeling like a chore, you can add it to that list.

I've been doing this somewhat for the past week and half. There have been nights where just don't feel like playing despite being logged in so I just let the non-orb rewards go. Having done that a few times has made it easier to let go of feeling compelled to play. 

On 9/1/2018 at 5:44 PM, Lewyn said:

Yes the game is much more fun when you don't feel forced to play it, in the beginning it really felt forced cause they were much less generous with orbs and of course I was very lacking in units.  Now I mean I have everything I need and much more, so I can skip tedious quests if I choose and its great.  I think the important thing I always keep in mind is games are for entertainment, if it isn't then why play?

Well one thing is to socialize a lot, and have active hobbies.  Also put it in perspective, if you are playing when you don't feel like it, what about all that time and what could you be doing with it?  We aren't immortal, time is limited.  There are books to read, mountains to climb, instruments to learn, sports, a million+ things one can do so why waste time doing something that you are not enjoying and also isn't providing you monetary or some other strong benefit?  

It sounds dumb but I often forget that games are supposed to be for entertainment and that I should stop playing or at least step away if it's not fun. 

To answer your question, I could be studying and going to the gym etc. I play this game as a way to deal with stress, which is ironic given that FOMO is giving me stress. I use this game to procrastinate the things that I should be doing because those things give me stress but I've been less active with the game recently and I'm starting to put the game down more and forcing myself to focus on the things that I should be doing.

Given that we're getting a Ploy skills banner, it made me wonder why they decided go with 謀策(how the Japanese version refers to non-Panic Ploy Ploy skills) instead of 策謀. I looked both up but the definitions I got didn't offer enough of a difference for me to differentiate so I'm assuming the former is just more fitting than the latter but I'm gonna ping @Ice Dragon in hopes of an explanation.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well we can cross Ophelia off of Farfetched. Now for non-Laguz/OCs, it'd be Kliff-Aversa-Owain-Haar.

I'm still skeptical of counting it that way, I think they want two male and two female. Which would change it to Charlotte if she counts, or Louise if not. Pretty weird either way, honestly.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If we assume Reinhardt optimized for combat and Cordelia optimized for combat have the same number of clear wins, Cordelia necessarily has fewer enemies she can initiate against to trigger Galeforce. This is due to the fact that Cordelia (1) had to sacrifice combat performance to equip Galeforce and (2) killing an opponent in too few attacks fails to trigger Galeforce.

Actually, for an even more comparable situation, an Cordelia optimized for combat necessarily has the same combat performance as an identical Cordelia. However if you switch out Cordelia #2's Special for Galeforce, she (1) loses combat performance and (2) still might not activate Galeforce if she kills something too quickly.

Ah, I should probably give you my Cordelia set, huh. (And yeah, it definitely trades some raw numbers for Galeforce). It's +Atk/-Res, Slaying Lance (Spd), L&D, Desperation, Savage Blow, Heavy Blade 3 (S-seal).

It trades sheer combat numbers for the best chance of surviving any single round of combat, and desperation lets her keep as much combat as possible after that single round. The fact that she survives most combats, player phase and enemy phase, gives it a few options Reinhardt usually doesn't have---the most common one is that she can hit someone on enemy phase without killing them and not ruin the run, and then hit them again on Player Phase to start the Galeforce chain. (This has a slight weakness to Vantage, which is mostly covered by my team not using up much HP for most combats.)

It helps that her combat numbers are similar, but the people she kills on each phase is different---since mages tend to be worse on defense and dragons tend to be worse on offense.

You know how I play vs. people with higher stats, but lower mobility---they just don't get buffs because I split them up with AI manipulation---this means Cordelia's 35 base Atk + 14 MT is fairly reliable for Heavy Blade even vs. people with 40 base Atk + 16 MT, since she gets +6 from Hone, +1 or +2 from Ally Support and they don't. Note that Galeforce Cordelia very much is not optimized versus armors and such---there's no reason to save turns at the cost of combat numbers if you have all the turns in the world---it's meant to be passable vs. most things but the star player vs. high mobility teams. Because Heavy Blade is reliable, it means Galeforce is reliable---2 combats where heavy blade triggers is a guaranteed Galeforce, due to 4cd---and I run her with Flying Azura. (Outside of Guard or Special Fighter shenanigans.)

If she absolutely must optimize single round combat then she does also have the nuclear option of spending both her turns to kill one thing, and then getting danced out like every other, 'normal,' player phase unit. Like, even in the worst case she's pretty comparable to regular Cordelia---she loses some Vantage matchups in comparison, but gains some Wary Fighter matchups, since you can dance her for the Galeforce and use the Galeforce turn to run away.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Theoretically, yes, but I find that in practical situations, positioning at the end of a turn to activate buffs is rarely a problem. By the time players have gotten to Tier 19.5, I think they've had enough practice that it just comes naturally enough to not be an issue.

Except when there are goddamn trees in the way.

I mean, once your positioning is that good you can start using it for even more buffs---I use Ally Support Spurs pretty consistently, and Cordelia definitely feels a lot harder to get the Spur +2 for vs. Horse Lyn and Reinhardt.

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Someone rip Ophelia's art plz

It will happen tomorrow in the latest, or earlier if the official FEH twitter provides it.

@Othin Another Farfetched happening is as likely as is it not happening.

Edited by Vaximillian

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Another Farfetched happening is as likely as is it not happening.

We won't know for certain until late November, when the first one happened. The issue with Farfetched is that we have a lot more popular characters in now, so they'll have to increasingly go down the list, in which case, is it really adding "populars" who aren't in yet. Though the intergame aspect of Farfetched is appealing to some.

Shame on me for thinking no Nohr. Also, kudos to IS for for no alts. Thank you. Flora's dagger is what every dagger user needs in a way. LOL, I  said if Silas were to be a new unit then don't make him a  sword unit as we already have enough sword units. They just made him a lance cavalry instead, which is also bloated. At least he's the demote. Def wave is a okay skill to get

Edited by silveraura25

Two new heroes banner in a row and no alts? Color me shocked.

Flora’s weapon is some new sort of busted and this is way better treatment to Flora than I ever expected. And that A skill is pretty neat too.

Also, Nina!! I was just expecting first gen units so I didn’t think Nina would be coming but I’m so glad she did. Honestly, based on skills alone, she seems like she could be a demote if it wasn’t for Bow Valor and the fact that Silas has a debatably more demotable kit.

Glad I had the will to not roll for Lewyn because I’m excited for this banner.

1 hour ago, silverserpent said:

...Flora is freaking broken. As is Ophelia. I mean...wtf?? Silas is the obvious demote, no way are they dropping Nina with bow valor. But...+20 DEF?! What was IS thinking?? Did they sink her def that bad?

1 hour ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Flora’s weapon is some new sort of busted and this is way better treatment to Flora than I ever expected. And that A skill is pretty neat too.

We do not know if Flora is overpowered without knowing her stats. I highly doubt she will be as good as Celica. Just because a unit has a niche does not mean she is over powered. If anything, the more niche a unit is, the less coverage they have and the less relevant they are in Arena.

Assuming she has Felicia's stat line, Flora is not overpowered. As an enemy, she can be easily tanked with a blue unit just like any red enemy mage you face, and that +20 Def means nothing with triangle advantage and a Special triggering. In the player's hand, Celica is much more reliable.

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

We do not know if Flora is overpowered without knowing her stats. I highly doubt she will be as good as Celica. Just because a unit has a niche does not mean she is over powered. If anything, the more niche a unit is, the less coverage they have and the less relevant they are in Arena.

Assuming she has Felicia's stat line, Flora is not overpowered. As an enemy, she can be easily tanked with a blue unit just like any red enemy mage you face, and that +20 Def means nothing with triangle advantage and a Special triggering. In the player's hand, Celica is much more reliable.

Which is the exact reason I said “Flora’s Weapon” and not Flora herself.

Although to be fair, even if she has like base 20 def she’ll still be able to reach 40 def on initiation which is pretty great.

Also what do you mean “in the players hands” ? What player is throwing red units at disadvantageous blue matchups? Did you mean the “AI’s hands” ? Because I could see the AI being dumb enough to do that.

Edit: Nvm. I just realized you were talking about Flora as an enemy and not player controlled but I stand by the rest.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Also what do you mean “in the players hands” ? What player is throwing red units at disadvantageous blue matchups? Did you mean the “AI’s hands” ? Because I could see the AI being dumb enough to do that.

In a player's hand, she is no where near as reliable as Celica at killing enemies, and debuffing is strictly worse than killing unless you want to feed kills to your bonus unit. You can still use her as a tank, but Sophia does that way better with access to Rauðrowl and running Close Counter.

As an enemy, she is no different from red mages and can easily be tanked by your blue units. That +20 Def means nothing when your Nowi can immolate her with a Bonfire trigger.

2 hours ago, silverserpent said:

...Flora is freaking broken. As is Ophelia. I mean...wtf?? Silas is the obvious demote, no way are they dropping Nina with bow valor. But...+20 DEF?! What was IS thinking?? Did they sink her def that bad?

please read the description of her weapon carefully.... she is nowhere near broken at all... she just has a niche against DISTANT COUNTER melees/dragons thats it. And its worse then Sacaes blessing (Lyn) because they can still counterattack. Just please read the description first and think about who it might be usefull to and you see its nowhere near OP. Its good for a dagger user thats it.

I don't know. It feels like I am saving orbs for nothing. Another chance for Rinkah vanished. At least the next Fate banner should be Hoshidian with Mikoto GHB. Hopefully they grant me Rinkah on the next Fate banner. 
I am thinking about pulling for 1 Ophelia or Flora to keep my barracks alive... hopefully I am lucky enough that my orbs do not take too much damage...

1 minute ago, Stroud said:

At least the next Fate banner should be Hoshidian with Mikoto GHB. Hopefully they grant me Rinkah on the next Fate banner. 

Rinkah, Orochi, Reina, and Yukimura banner with a Mikoto GHB, please.

1 minute ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Honestly most of the time i saw new stuff, the immediate question i had was "is it as fucked up as Karel's weapon"

Thankfully 90% of the time its not

Shhhhhh Nameless blade isnt fucked up in an Ostia pulse team ._.. a 72 HP with a 1 turn cooldown on Vengeance Karel isnt oppressiv!!!! (even though it is getting me defense wins like madness)