Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

I've found that L&D pairs well with units with otherwise very balanced stats, since they massively appreciate the boost to offense and speed, and can deal fine with the drop in defenses. I have it on my Alm and it's helped him one-round units he otherwise wouldn't be able to, double units he otherwise wouldn't be able to, or avoid getting doubled when he otherwise would be. Not to mention, built in Falchion Renewal 2 renders any extra damage he'd take not coming from blues moot.

43 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I switched to Japanese for 3 minutes and I didn't know what I was doing :(

Lol, same. I switched out of curiosity, and then almost panicked because I didn't remember the order of the menus and which setting was the switch back to English. It was a lot of trial and error to fix.

Edited by Extrasolar

• Replies 77.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

18 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

wait, how would that make sense with your usual logic, then? Breakers don't allow you to attack without getting counterattacked (assuming you do kill), even if the calculator does give you better matchups.

Attacking at range?

4 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Lol, same. I switched out of curiosity, and then almost panicked because I didn't remember the order of the menus and which setting was the switch back to English. It was a lot of trial and error to fix.

They should have text and voices be seperate options.

8 minutes ago, Troykv said:

The japanese version of the game mentions this trait in some of the supports Now you know why the Japanese almost always draw her with big tiddies

In this one and only scenario, I kinda wish I could claim innocence...

Just now, KongDude said:

Oh, wow, I never thought of this as a possibility at all, lol. That would actually be really cool as a way for people who prefer the Japanese voices, but can't read Japanese. Filing this under "wishlist for future updates to FE Heroes" even though I know it's unlikely to happen...

19 minutes ago, KongDude said:

That would be ideal but then there's the stuff with the way the VA industry works in Japan. 

9 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

That would be ideal but then there's the stuff with the way the VA industry works in Japan. 

What do you mean, if you don't mind me asking? How would that be a barrier to separate text-speech options?

I switch between English and French every so often. Kinda wish they had more languages for voice acting, and a separate setting for VAs compared to menus, etc. Zelda has this feature now, which is nice since I'm not big on the English VA jobs, while the French ones are better cast and performed.

I also find it fascinating how names, epithets, and dialogue change between languages. For instance, Fir's epithet in French is Héritière de Karel (Karel's Heir), Cain's is Voix du roi (Voice of the King), and Odin's is Sang maudit (Cursed Blood).

4 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

What do you mean, if you don't mind me asking? How would that be a barrier to separate text-speech options?

Basically, even if one VA doesn't want their voice to be in an English/localized game, then no character gets their Japanese voices in a game. In Japan, the voices' rights belong to the voice actors themselves, if memory serves. 

12 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

Basically, even if one VA doesn't want their voice to be in an English/localized game, then no character gets their Japanese voices in a game. In Japan, the voices' rights belong to the voice actors themselves, if memory serves. 

Ah. Well...in a perfect world they'd all give their permission and everyone could be happy. Even though I know we'd probably never get the separate options in the first place.

Just like audio for languages other than English and Japanese will never happen, haha.

27 minutes ago, Johann said:

I also find it fascinating how names, epithets, and dialogue change between languages. For instance, Fir's epithet in French is Héritière de Karel (Karel's Heir), Cain's is Voix du roi (Voice of the King), and Odin's is Sang maudit (Cursed Blood).

I've been thinking of writing up an article on things lost or gained in translation, but that'll have to wait until after I actually update the out-of-date main site.

Some of the cool things I've liked about Japanese text:

• Reinhardt's title is 雷神の右手, "Right Hand of the Thunder God", with "thunder god" presumably referring to Ishtar, who wields Thorhammer. (English "Thunder's Hammer".)
  • Summer Tiki's title is 三千回目の夏休み, "[Her] 3000th Summer Vacation". She's done this a lot. (English "Summering Scion".)
  • In contrast, Summer Corrin's title is はじめての夏休み, "[Her] First Summer Vacation". She hasn't. (English "Novice Vacationer".)
  • Legion's title is 笑う仮面, "Laughing Mask". (English "Masked Maniac".)
  • Robin (M)'s title is 聖王の軍師, "The Exalt's Tactician". (English "High Deliverer".)
  • Oboro's title is 魔王顔の, "[The One With] The Demon King's Countenance". (English "Fierce Fighter".)
  • Fir's title is 剣聖をつぐ者, "The Sword Saint's Heir". (English "Sword Student".)
  • Odin's title is 力を封印せし者, "The One Whose Strength Is Sealed". Probably explains his pathetic Atk stat. (English "Potent Force".)
  • And then there's Donnel's title of 村人, "Villager". (English "Village Hero".)
  • The gem weapons in Japanese are 旭日の剣, 蒼海の槍, and 深緑の斧, "Rising Sun Sword", "Azure Sea Lance", and "Verdant Axe".
  • Death Blow, Darting Blow, Armored Blow, and Warding Blow are 鬼神の一撃, 飛燕の一撃, 金剛の一撃, and 明鏡の一撃, "Fierce Deity Blow", "Flying Swallow Blow", "Adamantine Blow", and "Clear Mirror Blow".
  • Consequently, Swift Sparrow, Sturdy Blow, Mirror Strike, and Swift Strike are 鬼神飛燕の一撃, 鬼神金剛の一撃, 鬼神明鏡の一撃, and 飛燕明鏡の一撃, "Fierce Deity Flying Swallow Blow", "Fierce Deity Adamantine Blow", "Fierce Deity Clear Mirror Blow", and "Flying Swallow Clear Mirror Blow".

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I've been thinking of writing up an article on things lost or gained in translation, but that'll have to wait until after I actually update the out-of-date main site.

Some of the cool things I've liked about Japanese text:

• Reinhardt's title is 雷神の右手, "Right Hand of the Thunder God", with "thunder god" presumably referring to Ishtar, who wields Thorhammer. (English "Thunder's Hammer".)
  • Summer Tiki's title is 三千回目の夏休み, "[Her] 3000th Summer Vacation". She's done this a lot. (English "Summering Scion".)
  • In contrast, Summer Corrin's title is はじめての夏休み, "[Her] First Summer Vacation". She hasn't. (English "Novice Vacationer".)
  • Legion's title is 笑う仮面, "Laughing Mask". (English "Masked Maniac".)
  • Robin (M)'s title is 聖王の軍師, "The Exalt's Tactician". (English "High Deliverer".)
  • Oboro's title is 魔王顔の, "[The One With] The Demon King's Countenance". (English "Fierce Fighter".)
  • Fir's title is 剣聖をつぐ者, "The Sword Saint's Heir". (English "Sword Student".)
  • Odin's title is 力を封印せし者, "The One Whose Strength Is Sealed". Probably explains his pathetic Atk stat. (English "Potent Force".)
  • And then there's Donnel's title of 村人, "Villager". (English "Village Hero".)
  • The gem weapons in Japanese are 旭日の剣, 蒼海の槍, and 深緑の斧, "Rising Sun Sword", "Azure Sea Lance", and "Verdant Axe".
  • Death Blow, Darting Blow, Armored Blow, and Warding Blow are 鬼神の一撃, 飛燕の一撃, 金剛の一撃, and 明鏡の一撃, "Fierce Deity Blow", "Flying Swallow Blow", "Adamantine Blow", and "Clear Mirror Blow".
  • Consequently, Swift Sparrow, Sturdy Blow, Mirror Strike, and Swift Strike are 鬼神飛燕の一撃, 鬼神金剛の一撃, 鬼神明鏡の一撃, and 飛燕明鏡の一撃, "Fierce Deity Flying Swallow Blow", "Fierce Deity Adamantine Blow", "Fierce Deity Clear Mirror Blow", and "Flying Swallow Clear Mirror Blow".

Why do all these foreign names translated sound like very Owain/Odin names...?

Edited by Xenomata

7 hours ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Fortify Def units available are only have Cherche, Frederick, and Sakura, which would be redundant because two green and one colorless. Hone Atk banner has Nino, Fcorrin , and Sanaki. Hone Spd too would be redundant because 3 of 4 units that has it are reds (Laslow, Eirika and Ryoma( and Matthew is the only colorless there). Fortify Res has chance because even if people would't want Sophia, they would still want Linde or Soren. Armored Blow has less good units than other-Blow skills, tho. 

They seem to be trying to avoid color dupes in these banners so fair enough. Still a LnD banner in the month where all the orbs are tied up in other things is seriously blatant. They want you to spend. I'm out 33 orbs so far and still no S!Corrin.

@MrSmokestack She went to a good cause.

Spoiler

tgJhFwV.png

2 minutes ago, Zeo said:

They seem to be trying to avoid color dupes in these banners so fair enough. Still a LnD banner in the month where all the orbs are tied up in other things is seriously blatant. They want you to spend. I'm out 33 orbs so far and still no S!Corrin.

You can tell. It feels a bit of a rub to bring out a new banner just before the whole free summon thing comes in. They could've waited 'til the seventh -.- 

But oh well. With all the free orbs they've been giving, can't really complain too much xD 

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Why do all these foreign names translated sound like very Owain/Odin names...?

Mostly because I picked the most chuuni wording possible in English that still retained the same meaning.

33 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I love reading things like this, about the localization process and things that are adjusted or changed.

As a side note, a little compendium with all of the Heroes characters' Japanese dialogue/titles alongside their English dialogue/titles would be cool, but I know just how much work that would be, so I'm not expecting that anytime soon, lol.

Edited by Extrasolar

36 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Was thinking the same thing for the French version. Here's a few more things:

• Reinhardt's title is Bras droit d'Ishtar, or "Right Arm of Ishtar"
  • Lucina is Voix du futur, or "Voice of the Future"
  • Both Corrins are Main du destin, or "Hand of Destiny", which is an extremely odd case of two units having the same name and title
  • Takumi is Électron libre, or "Free Electron". I don't know if it's a common French turn-of-phrase to use that as we use Wild Card in English.
  • Elise is Bouton d'or, or "Buttercup" (as in, the flower)
  • Jagen is Os d'acier, or "Steel Bone"
  • Ninian is Enfant du destin, or "Child of Destiny" (or, if you prefer, "Destiny's Child")
  • Blár/Gronn/Rauðr are simply Sapphire, Emerald, and Ruby, just like the melee weapons. However, -Raven is Serres, meaning talons (ie: Serres saphir for Sapphire Talons, instead of Blarraven). -Wolf is replaced by Crocs, meaning fangs (making Ursula's default weapon, Sapphire Fangs, a bit more meaningful).
  • Noontime is Zenith, which sounds way better
  • Draug is renamed Edgar, to make his anagram work with the French word garde (which means guard).
  • Caeda renamed to Shiida and Navarre to Nabarl, guessing they just didn't bother to change from a poor Japanese > French translation
  • Cherche is renamed Zelcher, I don't know why
  • Robin is Daraen for some reason as well
  • Lon'qu also got renamed to Lon'zu
  • Other characters with names from English words (Legion, Hawkeye) are not changed, or even given accented letters (like Légion).
Edited by Johann

24 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I can do this all day buddy ;)

Hide contents

Pt3XwIV.png

Darn, this isn't updated with Desperation 3 and 9999 SP. Oh well.

I could throw up another nuke, but eventually you would post Reinhardt and I don't have him so I'm going to give you the preemptive win~

7 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Oh wow, I didn't actually notice Draug was "Guard" re-arranged. That's actually pretty neat.

...Me either. 

It's so obvious to look at it now it's been pointed out. I just never thought to rearrange the letters xD 

Just now, mcsilas said:

I should have noticed as well haha, since Fire Emblem has the likes of 'Asugi', "Rhajat" and "Caeldori" lol

And now I finally get Asugi and Caeldori. I picked up on Rhajat right away but didn't realise those were the same. Now I just feel like an eejit xD