Mafia HQ

Tables

Introduction to mafia: This post

Mafia games list: Here

What is Mafia?

Mafia is a game between two sides: An informed 'mafia', who want to kill everyone else, and an uninformed 'town', who want to find the mafia. Players are randomly assigned to teams, and the town has to work out who is in the mafia, while the mafia have to blend in and trick the town into not killing them.

How does it work?

Each game day consists of the day phase and the night phase. These vary in length - typically 48-72 hours for the day, and 24-48 hours for the night.

The Day Phase is when everyone decides to cast a vote to hang someone (or hang no one, if you decide). You do not have to vote. Votes will be cast publicly on the forum in most cases. Votes are generally made in this format: ##Vote: User, which makes them clear and easy to find by searching for the ##. If the moderator does not specify otherwise, votes should be made in this format.

The Night Phase is for those with special abilities (certain villagers have these, as do the Mafia). The most notable part of this phase is who the Mafia kill. To do your actions, send the game moderator a PM on this forum. Make it 100% clear who you are performing your action to.

Sounds good, can I join a game?

Of course! Check our list of upcoming games, and sign yourself up for one. The nearer the top they are, the closer they are to starting. Games in the pending list are ready to start at any point, so they're definitely a good one to sign up for if you want to play immediately.

Anything else to be aware of?

The rules vary from game to game, but in general, a few things are true in every game:

Do not talk after you're killed, or if you're not playing.

Do not edit your posts - this can vary in severity, sometimes you may edit posts to remove votes or correct grammar, other times edits are an instant modkill (getting kicked out of the game for violating the rules).

You should also try to be active during the game - games tend to get boring if only two people ever talk and nobody says much. The more meaningful posts you make during the day, the more exciting the game will be.

Some time after you have signed up, you will receive a PM with your role and alignment in it. This may be very basic and just tell you what you can do, or it may have some flavour text to make it more exciting. Either way, the PM will detail exactly what you are able to do.

For more information, check this page. It contains the basic rules and lots of variant roles.

Can I run a game?

Yes, of course! Provided you have some experience in either playing or moderating, it should be fine. Be aware that we have a queue, though, so don't just make a topic and hope to start a game the next week. Also, please be aware that as a first time moderator.

[spoiler=The Moderator's game planning guide](Shamelessly take from Smogon and adapted)

Pre-game

1. Design your game, and put it in a spreadsheet or other nice format. It doesn't have to be 100% complete, but close to it is nice.

2. Post in this topic and ask to host a game. If you're known to be a veteran or skilled mod, then your game will be likely approved instantly and added to the queue. If not, myself or another veteran mod will contact you to get details about the game.

3. If required, give said host access to your spreadsheet/detials and work on getting the concept and balance right.

4. Once those steps are done, I will put your game on the Game Listing. Your game doesn't have to be completely finished at this point, but make sure you will be before it's time for your game to start.

5. When you are allowed, post the sign-ups. I will sometimes remind people that they can do this but often won't. Keep an eye on this thread and check your game's progress. Signups should be opened when you are one of the top 3 games on the list.

6. Once your game is ready to start, send out role PMs and post your game thread, and begin the game (preferably in that order, but it's not a huge problem).

During the game

Concerning substitutions, everyone who signed up for the game but did not get in is eligible to be a substitute. It is highly recommended to have a substitute list - nobodies life is perfect, after all, and people may have to drop out of games for various reasons.

How you handle substitutes is otherwise up to you.

After the game

You are allowed to create a postgame thread after your game ends, if you want. Alternatively you can just continue discussion in your game thread.

Who will check my game/Can I help check games?

It could be any moderator known to be a skilled moderator. If you've proven your good enough to run a game without problems then you're good enough to help other people with theirs.

How long will I have to wait for this game to start?

It really does depend on where it is in the queue. Two normal games, and a mini game, are typically run at the same time. Occasionally more, but in general this is what we try to stick to. Mini games often last 1-2 weeks, while full games can last 2-4 weeks, or more, depending on the speed of the game.

Edited by I Eat Tables

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current games

Pending games

• Kingmaker Mafia - WoMC

Upcoming Full Games

• TotA mafia - JB25/Amelia (Starting mid-December)
  • Tales of Vesperia Mafia - Psych
  • Italian Mafia - Levity
  • Cavalier Mafia - Spykor
  • Disgaea Mafia - Lux Aeterna
  • Elibian Nights Mafia - Jean-Marc
  • Tarantino Mafia - Furetchen
  • WoMC's Mafia - WoMC
  • Rage Mafia - Life
  • Radiant Dragon's Mafia - Radiant Dragon

Upcoming Mini Games

• Tales Summon Spirits Mafia - JB25 (Starting after October 20th)
  • Highschool Mafia - Psych
  • Uhai's Mini Mafia - Spykor
  • Serenes Forest Mafia - Lightning
  • The Resistance 2 - Now with Roles! - I Eat Tables

Games requesting/being verified

The format here is Game - Moderator - Verifier

• Tales of Vesperia Mafia - Psych - Cocytus
  • Greek Gods Mafia - JB25 - Sue Sylvester
  • Summon Spirits Mafia - JB25 - Sue Sylvester
  • Lightning's Mafia - Lightning - Sue Sylvester

Games in orange will need a veteran mod to check them before they can run - just post and ask for someone to check

[spoiler=Completed Games]The format of these are Game - Moderator - Winner.

The link on Game links to the game thread.

The link on Winner links to the postgame discussion. If there is no link, the postgame is located in the actual game thread.

The following colours are used to indicate the winner:

Town or town equivalent

Mafia or mafia equivalent

3rd Party individual (Credited as the player who won as well as the role)

3rd Part team

Edited by I Eat Tables

Gameplay

Each game day consists of the Day Phase and the Night Phase. These are usually 24 hours each.

Day Phase

The Day Phase is when everyone decides to cast a vote to hang someone (or hang no one, if you decide). You do not have to vote. Votes will be cast publicly on the forum in most cases. Votes must be bolded and obvious. If you change your vote and make a new post with a vote, unbold your old one. Remember, everyone (save for those who are dead) participates in voting if they decide to.

Night Phase

The Night Phase is for those with special abilities (certain villagers have these, as do the Mafia). The most notable part of this phase is who the Mafia kill. To do your actions, send the game moderator a PM on this forum. Make it 100% clear who you are performing your action to.

Roles

Everyone will receive their role in a PM. All roles are distributed randomly.

Rule 1: Unless otherwise stated, do not talk in the game thread after you die.

Rule 2: Do not change your display name while you are in a game.

Nah. It's close enough to stay in the same section.

Also this topic should get a pin because it's pretty essential to keeping the mafia topics in order.

Well, if you want to suggest it for pinning or... whatever, then go right ahead, I suppose Mafia is becoming a pretty major game in the forum games, even if only like 15-20 people are regularly playing.

I don't expect many of those people will continue to host games after this large influx is over.

I'll probably do another one though assuming that you guys didn't hate my trying to do something way different.

I don't expect many of those people will continue to host games after this large influx is over.

I'm definitely going to continue to host as long as people are interested in playing. If anything, I'd love a mafia subforum... but I suppose that's too much to ask.

A mafia subforum is pointless. It counts as a forum game, and the current popular forum games take up a decent number of first page spots but aren't very numerous. Making two separate sub-forums would be dumb for the latter reason, so they might as well be put in one sub-forum

I want to host a Mafia game but all my past Mafia games were constructed from a different guide (http://mikeburnfire.sitesled.com/mscumB.swf). Some of the roles are similar but it might not be easy for players who are accustomed to SF Mafia games to get used to this type. I know I had trouble to adapt to SF mafia games. Should I just give it a shot and see how they react or just leave those strange games back to the other forums where they belong?

I was used to a different kind of style, too; it was a little hard to get used to the rules allowed here, but you adapt to where you're playing, I suppose. If you want to host your own game, host it however you'd like! I'm sure most people won't mind.

It'd be fine to give it a shot and see what happens, I think.

Also, I'm thinking of running a mini-mafia game based on the original ruleset (no night phase until players call it!). The only difference being the mafia is able to communicate at night. But I'm not sure it'll work too well given that it's a forum...

Edited by I Eat Tables