Rate the Unit: Day LVI

Shin

Rules(Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

-Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted - incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

-Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Turban/10",etc.

-Personality /Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

-Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

-Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

-Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 19:00BST!Take that, Americans!

-Second Generation Note: Assume that Substitutes are done on a Subs-only run. Any "not ________" will not be accepted.

Units and Ranking (Least to Greatest):

FirstGeneration

Diadora: 1.19

Ardan: 1.39

Tiltyu: 2.00

Briggid: 3.71

Claude :4.42

Azel: 4.63

Jamka: 5.25

Midir: 5.47

Dew: 5.68

Holyn: 5.90

Lachesis: 6.13

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Beowulf : 6.40

Aideen:6.57

Ayra: 6.79

Levin: 7.87

Fin(FirstGeneration): 7.88

Fury: 8.25

Cuan: 8.41

Lex: 8.83

Ethlin: 9.15

Sylvia: 9.50

Sigurd: 9.96

SecondGeneration

Roddlevan: 3.33

Radney: 3.44

Daisy: 3.65

Johalva: 3.93

Patty: 4.31

Amid: 4.85

Dimna: 4.89

Mana: 4.98

Tinny: 5.00

Tristan: 5.00

Johan: 5.08

Skasaher: 6.00

Janne: 6.29

Lakche: 6.35

Linda: 6.38

Femina: 6.50

Lester: 6.59

Julia: 7.12

Fin: 7.82

Nanna: 8.00

Lana: 8.24

Delmud: 8.45

Shanan: 8.56

Oifaye: 8.58

Arthur: 8.67

Fee: 8.86

Laylea: 9.42

Leen: 9.45

Leaf: 9.45

Aless: 9.47

Celice: 9.54

Take that, Horace! Leen won!

Faval

I guess we had a string of good units. Faval comes bow-locked, but with the best Bow in the game... so it kinda balances out. However, he's a footsie and recruiting involves lugging Patty across the map... and stalling Celice. He's pretty manly, but his recruitment is a pain. Plus, it takes turns to make him and give him his bow. Unless you're happy with his papa being Midale... and are cunning enough to send Briggid the wrong way.

5/10

4/10

He has a holy weapon and always has major Ulir blood. However, he is a footie AND bow-locked. He'll kind of help in ch 9 versus but if he isn't there he isn't really missed that much. Also annoying to create and recruit.

He costs turns to recruit and additional turns in Gen 1 if he is to have Ichival, but I'm not going to hold that against him, seeing as we didn't hold Levin x Tiltyu against Arthur... (And yes, I'm aware Levin!Arthur is >>>> Faval, but I still don't like the double standard) He's a bow-locked footie, but he pretty much ORKOs everything, and IIRC there are a few squads of Bow-units that come from behind that he can be useful against, so I think a 5.5/10 is okay. Plus he can pull off some pretty high Mt with Ichival for bosses when he gets there.

From what I've read people are having a hard time trying to recruit him. To be honest I don't find him hard to recruit at all. Anywho he's bow locked but whocares and he has no horse but whocares. He has the best bow in the game. Everytime I play he has 70+ HP. One time he had 80 HP. Since most of the time I have Dew be the father so he has the bargain skill, which helps. I've never had any problems with him. Only thing is he comes kinda late but nothing you can't fix.

7/10

From what I've read people are having a hard time trying to recruit him. To be honest I don't find him hard to recruit at all. Anywho he's bow locked but whocares and he has no horse but whocares. He has the best bow in the game. Everytime I play he has 70+ HP. One time he had 80 HP. Since most of the time I have Dew be the father so he has the bargain skill, which helps. I've never had any problems with him. Only thing is he comes kinda late but nothing you can't fix.

7/10

It's not that he's hard to recruit, but more that he's a pain to recruit. It takes a good couple of turns to get Patty over there and talk to him, where on a good run Celice is already near the castle. He's simply not efficient, and he's not going to make up those turns.

costs turns, doesn't make them up, but at least is basically guaranteed to kill a guy a turn when he can and is also rad

5.5/10

Edited by ♈Aradia Megido

It's not that he's hard to recruit, but more that he's a pain to recruit. It takes a good couple of turns to get Patty over there and talk to him, where on a good run Celice is already near the castle. He's simply not efficient, and he's not going to make up those turns.

Alright I could see that. However, I'm a very simple FE4 player and take my time doing things.

I don't hold his recruitment or gestation against him. Not overmuch, at least.

and he's still so hard meh.

So let's hypothesize: what would we want a bow-locked foot unit for? Killing tough motherfuckers like Alvis.

Except Faval doesn't have the hit (no skl from ichival and a killer 70 hit = boo) to reliably do that. So he has no staff utility, no boss-ganking utility, no horse utility, nothing. He can clear the Arena reliably, and he can ...fight the bow knight squad (sometimes) in F. That's it.

No, fuck it, I AM counting his recruitment against him, because it costs turns AND money because if you want to keep any semblance of anything you have to Warp Patty to Len*.

So fuck him.

3.5/10

I don't play for turns so I don't care that getting Faval or getting the Ichival cost turns. Ahem anyway Faval is great on the player phase. He can kill 99% of the enemies in one round. His main problem is his lack of enemy fase and his movement.

7.5/10

Worst character in the game. Costs turns to gestate, costs turns to recruit, his holy weapon costs turns, he is bowlocked, he is a footie, he is one of the last gen2 characters to exist, he is 100% pure butt.

0/10

Sorry, I've overlooked this, but I'm not happy with this. Please state why his performance is worth a 0 (so far you only grill him on his recruitment/birth). Thank you!

Sorry, I've overlooked this, but I'm not happy with this. Please state why his performance is worth a 0 (so far you only grill him on his recruitment/birth). Thank you!

He has plenty of reasons there, did you somehow miss the second half of his post? I could understand being surprised at such a low rating, but he has as much of a reason as many of the other posters, he's just a bit more harsh.

He has plenty of reasons there, did you somehow miss the second half of his post? I could understand being surprised at such a low rating, but he has as much of a reason as many of the other posters, he's just a bit more harsh.

Nah, I didn't even read anything in this thread, let alone his post :P.

0/10 implies complete and utter uselessness. Remember, this rating also takes into account the usefulness of a unit once recruited too. I can appreciate the score being lower due to him costing turns, but I feel that his positive qualities, like slugging around something with effectively 40 might and making light work of dragons, have been overlooked. I'm still sticking with my decision.

6/10 - always seems to have hit issues for me but he packs a punch and won't be complete ass.

let's see...

he takes turns to recruit

he's a foot unit

he takes turns to even be born

but on the other hand, he does pack a killer wallop - at least somewhat useful against mofos like alvis (I'm not holding his lack of accuracy against him because I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who wants a skill ring).

3/10

but on the other hand, he does pack a killer wallop - at least somewhat useful against mofos like alvis (I'm not holding his lack of accuracy against him because I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who wants a skill ring).

Ares or Celice, both of whom are still facing ~60% hit before Charisma against Big Shield.

While he exists, he probably averages about a half of a slightly consequential kill per chapter if I don't count garbage kills for XP (units that could easily be vanished in seizes etc). That is about on par with the other unimportant-but-free footies, which I ranked around 4, except Faval also costs a lot of turns and is around less, bringing him to zero. I am kinda using him as my calibration point for a completely terrible zero-worthy unit, because of all that. I'm not interested enough in how much harder he overkills a random subordinate dragonrider than the other units to give him points for it.

I don't hold his recruitment or gestation against him. Not overmuch, at least.

and he's still so hard meh.

So let's hypothesize: what would we want a bow-locked foot unit for? Killing tough motherfuckers like Alvis.

Except Faval doesn't have the hit (no skl from ichival and a killer 70 hit = boo) to reliably do that. So he has no staff utility, no boss-ganking utility, no horse utility, nothing. He can clear the Arena reliably, and he can ...fight the bow knight squad (sometimes) in F. That's it.

No, fuck it, I AM counting his recruitment against him, because it costs turns AND money because if you want to keep any semblance of anything you have to Warp Patty to Len*.

So fuck him.

3.5/10

yeah this is my rating

Also Shin, I didn't even give Laylea a bias point or particularly like her! I think you confused me with Cam or Integ or someone that faps to laylea

I just don't like leen very much

because she's related to corple

While he exists, he probably averages about a half of a slightly consequential kill per chapter if I don't count garbage kills for XP (units that could easily be vanished in seizes etc). That is about on par with the other unimportant-but-free footies, which I ranked around 4, except Faval also costs a lot of turns and is around less, bringing him to zero. I am kinda using him as my calibration point for a completely terrible zero-worthy unit, because of all that. I'm not interested enough in how much harder he overkills a random subordinate dragonrider than the other units to give him points for it.

Okie dokie, now that's a little better!

He kills just about anything he fights in 1 round.

That said, he's bow-locked (not like I'd honestly have him use anything besides Ichival)

I turtle like a boss, so lack of horse doesn't bother me.

He's also the anti Ishtar. (True, there's only 1 honest Ishtar fight (I take down Yurius on Ch10, like every time, because he's the first one to poke his head out; Final Chapter "lol Silence" or "lol Berserk".) but he's the guy I know can turn around and 1-shot that irritating boss.)

His problem lies in his slowness of killing things: He kills 1 guy in the time it takes for a unit like, I dunno, Yuria, to kill 5 or 6, thanks to the fact that, regardless of who I pair Briggid with, he's squish, and getting him to fight only other range 2 people can somewhat be bothersome (considering most range 2 people are (dark) mages and he doesn't get much RES), however, with the amount of firepower he throws around, in situations like Hannibal's squad or the Grauen Ritter where I've got my entire army holed up in the castle (yay for Canon!Sety with the Speed Ring), he's decidedly useful.

As far as his recruitment goes? He moves just a bit faster than Ishtar. Getting Patty to him is no problem. He makes up for any difficulty (what difficulty?) in recruitment by instakilling Ishtar the very moment I get him.

Gestation? Like I said, I turtle like a boss thru all of FE4. *Looks at my 347 turn Ch2*, time is 'hardly' of the essence for me. So he doesn't lose points there.

Summary:

+ 1-shots Ishtar the only time she's really a threat.

+ 1-shots most every non-boss ever.

+ Ludicrous amounts of overkill on ch9.

+ Incredibly useful in Castle-tank situations.

- Squish as hell.

- Only 1 kill/turn

~- Bowlocked (But counterbalances bowlocking with Legendary, so it plays out.)

Final rating: 7.8/10

He can kill a unit per turn, if he can get to them. Big deal, so can just about everybody else. SKL is what he wants; Holyn can be a good dad for this reason, but it's not going to wholly make up for the base Hit of his holy weapon. Still, he has a holy weapon, that's something I guess. Nice to instagib flying units, but Lester can pretty much do the same thing with a Killer/Hero Bow and will actually be able to keep up besides.

Very much a "What's the point?" character. He's good on paper, but in practice, he just barely ever seems to get used very much and ends up below-average. One point in his favor, however, is that it's very hard to fuck up pairing his mom and he takes her weapons so he's fine. You can basically ignore him too and just work on pairing for Patty if you want. He's like Sety in that respect, except Sety is a million times better at it, but it's a nice positive to not be demanding so much that there's a risk of screwing your sister (and that risk is strong in FE4!).

4/10

He One-Rounds everything, sure. He's got great stats, sure. Especially if Holyn's his dad. But what else does Faval have? Nothing, really. He's pretty useless outside of that. Bowlock means no Enemy Phase outside of being attacked at range, and since he destroys everything in his path it's unlikely he'll be attacked. Gestation and recruitment take a lot of turns that he can't make up, unlike, say, Sety, who definitely makes up turns. Faval is great on casual and ranked, but in a draft he's not worth it. The only redeeming quality besides having Ichival immediately is that his sub is undeniably much worse.

2.75/10