Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

You can promote books without getting them to level 20 (because they can't be leveled in the first place).

That did occur to me, but the Enhance in FEH-speak appears to address merging units, not promoting them. I say this because the word "Enhance" appears under the merge target in the menu, whereas for SI it says "Inherit" and for Unlock Potential there is no text.

I suppose it's likely just another translation foible then. Is the Japanese version clearer about it?

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

17 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

You can’t enhance books in any way, and thus can’t promote books. Promote a Lissa first and convert her to a book.

(At least that’s my understanding)

13 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

That did occur to me, but the Enhance in FEH-speak appears to address merging units, not promoting them. I say this because the word "Enhance" appears under the merge target in the menu, whereas for SI it says "Inherit" and for Unlock Potential there is no text.

I suppose it's likely just another translation foible then. Is the Japanese version clearer about it?

The Japanese bulletin has this line

秘伝書も「覚醒」が可能になります。

which translates as "Combat manuals can be used in Unlock Potential."

That is followed by

英雄のレベルが1でも「覚醒」を行えるようになります。

which translates as "Heroes that are level 1 can still be used for Unlock Potential," where I assume "Heroes" refers to the Heroes that were transformed into combat manuals.

Still working my way through the rest of the bulletin. EDIT: Nothing else of note.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Cherche prf, yess! My dew is ready. 

23 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

So they're softly killing Rival Domains off eh? Just when people figured out a use for them...

It's more an improvement or added variant, since it's still similar to Rival domains. 

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The book can be used for merging and Skill Inheritance

As far as I understood you have to decide if you want to use a unit for SI or merges before the conversion to a book of either type. 

Edited by mampfoid

@Ice Dragon Good to hear, just the translators being dumb again then and using Enhance to refer to merging in one dot point then immediately turning around and using the exact same terminology to talk about promotion in the very next.

@mampfoid Yeah, but the point is that it's an intentional nerf to HM farming. You can't carry weak weaponless units anymore, and each battle will last 8 turns no matter what you do.

6 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

As far as I understood you have to decide if you want to use a unit for SI or merges before the conversion to a book of either type. 

Nothing in the Japanese bulletin says this, and the fact that the screenshots show no visual difference between the two indicates to me that there is, in fact, no distinction.

38 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Now they can give out Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna books to use for merging.

Alright, if that's what happens I'll be okay with this. I have my doubts but still.

Really, I'm surprised how small this update feels. There's not much in the small details to worry about, the relay defence map isn't that big a deal either (barring RIP HM grinding, which I never did so.....) and the combat manual thing is nice enough but it's a minor thing and still doesn't resolve the issue of common units with utterly awful fodder at this point in the game.

As for the refines, Celica means another chance not to get her, Odin means another unit I don't need to worry about spending on and Cherche is the first unit from my initial party for this game to get a prf weapon. 

Do people think there's a chance the game will hit 3.0 next month?

For Celica I would be happy enough if they just improve the tome. But I think if she gets double hit with her tome while HP is full with HP penalty would be too good? 

At least I have almost 400 dew Ready. I adjusted to save up dew and only spend them at the beginning of a new month. 

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Nothing in the Japanese bulletin says this, and the fact that the screenshots show no visual difference between the two indicates to me that there is, in fact, no distinction.

That would be much preferable. 

This wording made me doubt: 

"Additionally, you can have up to 9999 of each type of Combat Manual."

"You cannot turn a Combat Manual back into a Hero, and you cannot use Combat Manuals in the Enhance slot for Merge Allies." 

26 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

@mampfoid Yeah, but the point is that it's an intentional nerf to HM farming. You can't carry weak weaponless units anymore, and each battle will last 8 turns no matter what you do.

Didn't think of HM farming, that's a bummer. I don't think it's intentional though, they didn't nerf GHB HM farming. 

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Alright, if that's what happens I'll be okay with this. I have my doubts but still.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but this is literally the system I proposed some time ago that would allow a means of distributing merge levels to the Askr trio (since summoning more of them doesn't make sense) and possibly even provide additional copies of other limited-supply units.

I can imagine, for example, a Grand Hero Battle Elite quest set that gives out one normal copy of each character and one book version.

What would really be cool is if Bound Hero Battles could also use this to give out book versions of the featured characters.

Can't imagine Odin's Prf being more than a sidegrade unless it's literally -blade but better. -blade covers every weakness of his except how dependent he is on having an amazing support (which means Bow!Lucina, pretty much, at least for now) to function properly. Nosferatu with Sol on every hit might be interesting, basically turning him into an absorb staffer with better skills, but would still only be a side-grade.

@mampfoid The enhance slot is the unit that's being merged into. [Edit: That is, the unit getting the merge levels, not the unit being used up.] Obviously it's pointless to give books merges.

Edited by DehNutCase

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

@mampfoid The enhance slot is the unit that's being merged into. Obviously it's pointless to give books merges.

Ok, now I get it. Thanks! 

This means every unit with remotely interesting skills and a bad nature will be turned into a book. Curious for the "The Everyday Life of Heroes" episode for that ... 

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm not getting my hopes up, but this is literally the system I proposed some time ago that would allow a means of distributing merge levels to the Askr trio (since summoning more of them doesn't make sense) and possibly even provide additional copies of other limited-supply units.

I can imagine, for example, a Grand Hero Battle Elite quest set that gives out one normal copy of each character and one book version.

What would really be cool is if Bound Hero Battles could also use this to give out book versions of the featured characters.

Thing is, it allowing for book versions of limited units would require allowing for the choice of which type of book to give (SI or merge), right? Or am I wrong there? Aside from that, because books can't be enhanced, would the Askrtrio be made 5* automatically to allow for merging at any level or what else could happen?

Also, the last part sounds like it would allow for some ridiculous results, considering units like Hector have been in BHBs before.

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

Didn't think of HM farming, that's a bummer. I don't think it's intentional though, they didn't nerf GHB HM farming. 

Would have said the same last week, but after they hotfixed a change to the RD units last week to defeat the common autobattle strat, I'm not so sure anymore.

As for free manuals, if not for the fact that it's releasing tomorrow, the "Order of Heroes Quests" would have been a prime candidate for handing out merges for the trio. Oh well, next month perhaps. Can't see it happening for non-free units though, it'd feel kinda bad getting manuals for units you don't have, which would be premium ones, and if it was for common units, what's the point of doing so over just a regular copy you could convert yourself?

For example, during the Corrin and Azura BHB. Giving out a free neutral M Corrin manual would just have everyone collectively shrugging their shoulders, while a free Azura manual... what would I do with this without having ever pulled Azura? Give Sapphire Lance+ to someone? No, it'd just sit there indefinitely until the day I do pull a real copy, and that'd be a really weird reward.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Thing is, it allowing for book versions of limited units would require allowing for the choice of which type of book to give (SI or merge), right? Or am I wrong there? Aside from that, because books can't be enhanced, would the Askrtrio be made 5* automatically to allow for merging at any level or what else could happen?

Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna cannot be used in the fodder slot for Skill Inheritance in the first place, and I can see that being extended to book versions of them.

As for the other characters, I don't see too much of an issue in allowing free limited units to be rewarded as books. Even Hector. One free copy of Distant Counter (that can't be deployed as a unit) is not going to break the bank, especially if it's given out as a 4-star copy that requires a promotion (like the free Takumi we get).

Books can be promoted. It explicitly says so in the Japanese bulletin (which I translated above). However, I'd imagine book versions of the Askr trio would likely be awarded at 5-star rarity regardless.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Books can be promoted. It explicitly says so in the Japanese bulletin (which I translated above). However, I'd imagine book versions of the Askr trio would likely be awarded at 5-star rarity regardless.

I'd assume they'd simply make it so that only 5* units can be booked, since that should save a lot of hassle on possible bugs with lower rarity units. (Like, you know, 1* Hanas and such.)

Just now, DehNutCase said:

I'd assume they'd simply make it so that only 5* units can be booked, since that should save a lot of hassle on possible bugs with lower rarity units. (Like, you know, 1* Hanas and such.)

The screenshot explicitly shows a giant pile of 4-star books.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The screenshot explicitly shows a giant pile of 4-star books.

o.O

Edit: Oh wait, I misread you. You said that there's a line that straight up says books can be promoted (it's in ENG as well), not that books can't be promoted.

I assumed the 5* thing since it'd be bloody weird for no promotion + lower rarity books to be a combo. If promotions are allowed then it doesn't really matter.

Edited by DehNutCase

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna cannot be used in the fodder slot for Skill Inheritance in the first place, and I can see that being extended to book versions of them.

As for the other characters, I don't see too much of an issue in allowing free limited units to be rewarded as books. Even Hector. One free copy of Distant Counter (that can't be deployed as a unit) is not going to break the bank, especially if it's given out as a 4-star copy that requires a promotion (like the free Takumi we get).

Alright, though I was more concerned about how it applies to other limited units instead of the Askrtrio.

True true.

Also, huh. Mistake on my part.

More idle thoughts:

Easy way to make players want to do Arena more: Make a combat manual shop and put Hector in it for like 50,000 Arena medals.

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

I didn't finish Awakening yet. Is there any hint what Cherches prf could be like? 

None at all from Awakening to my knowledge. However, if recent weapons in Heroes are anything to go by, expect it to be effective against armor.

Did they just give Cherche Helswath? That axe looks like Awakening's version of Helswath and for whatever reason, Cherche has usually been depicted wielding it in her official arts.

If it's based on Awakening's Helswath, then it's probably going to boost defense in some way as Helswath gives +5 defense in that game while in Genealogy, it gave +20 defense and +10 resistance. Watch it end up having Steady Breath or Divine Tyrfing's effect as its unique refinement. Cherche has a massive health pool and good defense similar to Seliph, but she trades resistance for attack compared to him.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

None at all from Awakening to my knowledge. However, if recent weapons in Heroes are anything to go by, expect it to be effective against armor.

That would be useful for arena, but a little boring. Someone mentioned she had a certain weapon in her official art. 

/Edit: @Kaden That's what I meant. :-) I'm hoping for something gimmicky though. 

Edited by mampfoid