The Grand Hero Battle's Table: Gharnef

SatsumaFSoysoy

@mampfoid Effective and brutal as always. Good to see Oscar getting some action. That was quite the close call with Elincia tanking the Bonfire, but she managed to tough it out and proceed to clear the rest of the map in a rampage. As someone who occasionally uses dancers myself, I have no problem with them providing some extra actions. In the end, it was still very much Elincia and Oscar's work that cleared the map. Well done!

@kirauza343 It's always amazing to see Marisa delete blues, especially the dragons here. Odd Res wave really payed off as well. The finale was simply awesome, and Celica roasting Gharnef was definitely satisfying. Good job!

@Landmaster Some really nice clears here. The first one had a really sweet theme going, with Jeorge really proving his relevance as an archer! Since I play the Japanese version, Marth's high voice especially in his groom alt really caught me of guard. 

Seeing Mae dish out punishment was also amazing, especially with how overlooked she is among blue mages. I really don't begrudge you the use of Slivia. Dancers really shouldn't be seen as "cheat units" unless paired with Reinhardt and Lyn

Anyway, as for my own clears.... well:

tumblr_pip6boTBak1ta965c_540.png

This is the farthest I've currently gotten on my Taku clear. Look at that angry mob! It's not that I couldn't kill the enemies individually (aside from the armour, which they put in Infernal solely to troll me INTSYYYS!!), but there is no way to kill them all or space to back away in time. I'd need to change my set-up significantly, which would invalidate the entire strategy so far. Made a handful attempts on the Princess clear, with no substantial ground gained so far either.

I'll come back to this when I have more time on my hands, but in the meantime:

@mcsilas @Zeo 

Music: 1. Floating in the Air 2. The Law of the Battle 3. Keep your Guard up! - All from Tales of Symphonia.

I call this pulling out the big guns and venting my frustrations. This is technically a themed clear, if you interpret this as Tiki and her newly adopted family taking revenge on Gharnef. No significant troubles on this one. Tiki destroying the armour and axe cav were true highlights for me and helped me feel better about the state o my other clears.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some dark mages to fodder off...

Edited by Nanima

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Nanima said:

@Landmaster Some really nice clears here. The first one had a really sweet theme going, with Jeorge really proving his relevance as an archer! Since I play the Japanese version, Marth's high voice especially in his groom alt really caught me of guard. 

Seeing Mae dish out punishment was also amazing, especially with how overlooked she is among blue mages. I really don't begrudge you the use of Slivia. Dancers really shouldn't be seen as "cheat units" unless paired with Reinhardt and Lyn

Anyway, as for my own clears.... well:

tumblr_pip6boTBak1ta965c_540.png

This is the farthest I've currently gotten on my Taku clear. Look at that angry mob! It's not that I couldn't kill the enemies individually (aside from the armour, which they put in Infernal solely to troll me INTSYYYS!!), but there is no way to kill them all or space to back away in time. I'd need to change my set-up significantly, which would invalidate the entire strategy so far. Made a handful attempts on the Princess clear, with no substantial ground gained so far either.

@mcsilas @Zeo 

Music: 1. Floating in the Air 2. The Law of the Battle 3. Keep your Guard up! - All from Tales of Symphonia.

I call this pulling out the big guns and venting my frustrations. This is technically a themed clear, if you interpret this as Tiki and her newly adopted family taking revenge on Gharnef. No significant troubles on this one. Tiki destroying the armour and axe cav were true highlights for me and helped me feel better about the state o my other clears.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some dark mages to fodder off...

Groom Marth does seem a bit higher pitched than his other alts for some reason, haha, I always though it was because he's supposed to be nervous XP I was also glad to show off Mae a bit. Once she's in Desperation range, she can do a lot.

I was wondering how TakuSquad would handle this one. On the one hand, I thought mono-colorless could help with not having a blatant weakness to so many reinforcements but since they're all ranged units, I thought it could get cluttered and it seems Gharnef isn't giving them much room to breathe (and that armor!)~ But I just have to laugh at Summer Takumi with full health all smiley while the rest are dying and serious. I look forward to seeing them get the win!

Meanwhile Happy Takumi faired better on his vacation with Summer Tiki. She handles the dragons and greens with ease and Firesweep Savage Blow was really cool and a clever way to shut down Gharnef without taking any huge hits. And I noticed our singer/dancer units got the same final kill on that Axe Flier. Nice clear!

I managed to beat Gharnef's GHB on Infernal with my Summer Takumi solo!

This GHB was tough, and took a lot of tries. I initially tried the Summer Takumi solo, but after several tries, I then attempted it with my Flier Emblem, Horse Emblem, and various teams involving a combination of Legendary Ike, Brave Veronica, a Dancer, Fjorm, Reinhardt, or Brave Lyn. Still no luck.

I revisited my strategy of Summer Takumi with three Dancers, and it still took a lot of tries with just that team. I did get further compared to previous attempts, with the main roadblock coming down to taking down Gharnef himself because he could withstand a hit from Takumi and kill him back. In the end, trapping the one Infantry Sword unit that appeared on the left with Normal Azura and having her bait the unit down to her while Takumi and the others retreated to behind the wall was the key strategy that allowed me to take perform the last five kills. Definitely one of the toughest GHBs IMO!

Here's a video showcasing my successful attempt of Gharnef's GHB on Infernal using my Summer Takumi solo.

Edited by Erureido

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

Too bad your usual teams didn't work this time. 

Desperation Tiki was the right answer to that map though. Of course Firesweep Tak-Tak did his part too. I always like to see OG Hinoka (my first ever 5* Flier). Congrats!

Nice rocky tunes btw. 

3 hours ago, Erureido said:

I managed to beat Gharnef's GHB on Infernal with my Summer Takumi solo!

This GHB was tough, and took a lot of tries. I initially tried the Summer Takumi solo, but after several tries, I then attempted it with my Flier Emblem, Horse Emblem, and various teams involving a combination of Legendary Ike, Brave Veronica, a Dancer, Fjorm, Reinhardt, or Brave Lyn. Still no luck.

I revisited my strategy of Summer Takumi with three Dancers, and it still took a lot of tries with just that team. I did get further compared to previous attempts, with the main roadblock coming down to taking down Gharnef himself because he could withstand a hit from Takumi and kill him back. In the end, trapping the one Infantry Sword unit that appeared on the left with Normal Azura and having her bait the unit down to her while Takumi and the others retreated to behind the wall was the key strategy that allowed me to take perform the last five kills. Definitely one of the toughest GHBs IMO!

Here's a video showcasing my successful attempt of Gharnef's GHB on Infernal using my Summer Takumi solo.

This was a good clear~ The strategy with Azura really worked for Takumi to be able to get back before the enemies piled up. This is a really tough map to solo, great job pulling it off~

Oof, I didn't read Imhullu's effect when I first tried this. Considering my team uses Roy and Brave Ike for most of its EP work, you can imagine how much I enjoyed Turn 3. Delthea was able to make up for the lost effort, but I still got wiped in the end due to Ike having to try and tank one too many foes. I'll probably try F-Grima and Veronica tomorrow, in the meantime suggestions are always appreciated.

Also, I was listening to Gharnef's Tap Quotes and in my head suddenly heard 'Now, young Marth, you will witness the power of this FULLY OPERATIONAL SHADOW DRAGON' so Gharnef's alias is officially Darker Palpatine.

@mampfoid

Nice work on your clear! Not to beat a dead horse, but Elincia eating that Bonfire is impressive, even with the support that was needed.

On 11/23/2018 at 12:48 AM, mampfoid said:

Nice touch with 4* Gordin. My first thought was Cav + Flier + 2 dancers. 

I was initially using Roy in the leftmost slot, but it looked a little awkward with him just sitting there after KOing the Axe Flier. I figured that if the game was going to let me get away with using Gordin, I might as well.

@SatsumaFSoysoy

Nice work, successfully avenging Pontifex Miloah. Also nice to see Julia in action.

@Azuris

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm interested to see the next LHB as well...

@Landmaster

Nothing wrong with Marth and Dancers. I've actually never seen Marth's combat animations, that three-stab finisher looks pretty cool. It was interesting to see Mae as well, I don't usually see much of her. Nice job!

@SatsumaFSoysoy That clear was very cool! LnD Lucina is not something you see often but damn is she strong! 

@mampfoid Cool as always. Elincia was the star of the show this time destroying 3 units on her own. 

@kirauza343 Incredible! Most of the time one gets overwhelmed by so many reinforcements but your team made it seem like child's play. It was also full of close moments like Micaiah tanking that green mage or Marisa taking that manakete but they pulled through. Really nice!

- - - - 

@mcsilas @SatsumaFSoysoy @Zeo  @Aera @Khid @Rafiel's Aria @Usana @DefyingFates @Azuris

I had the usual Eirika clear but then I remembered that I despise Gharnef so I didn't want to showcase him doing any damage to Eirika which led me to this: 

It is a cheesy clear but it felt really good to use Eirikalter for a change. Every Eirika deserves tons of love, after all.

And there's more this time. I was lucky to see that no one has used S!Linde yet so my themed clear is relatively new. I used some dramatic music because this means a lot to Linde (and showing how much of a chump Gharnef is because he fell to a starshell without having a way to retaliate feels very nice). The only thing lacking is for Phina to be released in order to get a full Archaneia clear but Airzura will do for now.

On 11/23/2018 at 6:49 AM, mampfoid said:

@daisy jane @SatsumaFSoysoy Didn't we talk about Elincia earlier? :-) 

Oh yes we did. I'm surprised you only used two attackers, actually.

@kirauza343 That's a really nice Marisa. I was half expecting Cherche to get doubled by that Green Manakete, but she didn't!

@Landmaster Nice clear yourself! Smart usage of Grima's Truth. I like that L!Marth rips this map apart against Gharnef.

@LordFrigid This is probably the only time I have ever used Julia in a video. She's so niche.

@Alexmender Every version of Eirika is a best and good to bully. I wonder if a three Eirika team would work for some of these Hero Battles.

3 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

is anyone planning on 5*'s Gharnef? 
I'm leanin to a no. 

Nah. He's not that good anyway.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

He is my latest 5*. 

The weapon is unique enough in that it does something nothing else does. This may not be a niche I'll ever use but it is still a niche and so it has some potential.

I don't do merges and my next 5* was either going to be him, Azama or Fir anyway, both of which I've gotten good copies of. I still don't have a Pain+ unit so Azama will probably be next.

Edited by Vince777

5 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

This is probably the only time I have ever used Julia in a video. She's so niche.

Yeah, I fully agree there. I think I used her in the Kana GHB one-turn, but that’s it.

Also, your comment reminded me that I don’t use Julia enough after the Arena started rewarding bonus unit KOs (when’s her next chance in the bonus rotation, IS?), and made this run really tempting.

Edited by LordFrigid

6 hours ago, Alexmender said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy That clear was very cool! LnD Lucina is not something you see often but damn is she strong! 

@mampfoid Cool as always. Elincia was the star of the show this time destroying 3 units on her own. 

@kirauza343 Incredible! Most of the time one gets overwhelmed by so many reinforcements but your team made it seem like child's play. It was also full of close moments like Micaiah tanking that green mage or Marisa taking that manakete but they pulled through. Really nice!

- - - - 

@mcsilas @SatsumaFSoysoy @Zeo  @Aera @Khid @Rafiel's Aria @Usana @DefyingFates @Azuris

I had the usual Eirika clear but then I remembered that I despise Gharnef so I didn't want to showcase him doing any damage to Eirika which led me to this: 

It is a cheesy clear but it felt really good to use Eirikalter for a change. Every Eirika deserves tons of love, after all.

And there's more this time. I was lucky to see that no one has used S!Linde yet so my themed clear is relatively new. I used some dramatic music because this means a lot to Linde (and showing how much of a chump Gharnef is because he fell to a starshell without having a way to retaliate feels very nice). The only thing lacking is for Phina to be released in order to get a full Archaneia clear but Airzura will do for now.

I was just wondering if you'd ever use the other Eirikas xD Great videos as always!

5 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Yeah, I fully agree there. I think I used her in the Kana GHB one-turn, but that’s it.

Also, your comment reminded me that I don’t use Julia enough after the Arena started rewarding bonus unit KOs (when’s her next chance in the bonus rotation, IS?), and made this run really tempting.

Uh... Wow. That's a lot of... everything. I did not expect to see that. Is she +Spd -HP?

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

22 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Apparently some people are trying to run +Def -Spd Close Counter Julia/Deirdre now. It's kinda funny, but it does work against dragons.

Yeah. It just works because of negating buffs is rather low-key powerful seeing as your opponent will buff themselves up (only to fail) while you can do it without worries. Funnily enough she can take on any Grima variant regardless of which phase you're in as a simple attack buff is all it takes despite his incredible bulk

9 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

@Landmaster

Nothing wrong with Marth and Dancers. I've actually never seen Marth's combat animations, that three-stab finisher looks pretty cool. It was interesting to see Mae as well, I don't usually see much of her. Nice job!

Those three stabs are quite satisfying XD Mae did spice it up a bit, I like to try some variety with these Special maps~ Thanks!

9 hours ago, Alexmender said:

That Eirika solo was great, she does massive damage with that Rauoblade Astra. I really liked the Summer Linde clear, too. She was doing pretty small damage in the beginning, but came through with bigger hits each time for the finisher. And Spring Catria was really good, too. Awesome clears for both~

7 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

@Landmaster Nice clear yourself! Smart usage of Grima's Truth. I like that L!Marth rips this map apart against Gharnef.

Thanks haha, Grima's Truth and Marth's Fire Emblem helped a lot.

2 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

That was incredible, I'll never not be amazed at all the work that must go into getting your positioning right. Dragon killer Julia just runs through this map~

Doing my tries on this i noticed that Innes with refined weapon but vanilla skillset totally destroys Lunatic, but fails Infernal because he doesn't do enought damage anymore. It makes me wonder how to build him properly, since his refine marks him more as a player phase unit and Fortress Res becomes less useful. Maybe give him a Res Wave instead and Death Blow?

I cleared infernal yesterday with WT!Olwen, S!Catria, NY!Azura, and YT!Olivia. It only took a few tries because I needed to grind out the s-support between Olwen and Catria but it was worth it to see them complement each other well and destroy everything in sight. After I finished this I noticed that I use dancers + hyper offensive units for just about 99% of the content so I decided to challenge myself.

The challenge was to clear infernal without dancers and use mostly enemy phase units(on a map that hates EP lol), it was uh a fun journey T_T. The amount of seal switching and skill inheritance was just unbelievable and it didn't help that for some reason I wanted to use H!Mia and Ylgr no matter what. Ylgr tanking and taking out green units wasn't something I expected from her :L. The final team ended up being L!Tiki, Myrrh(I had to fight with the def bane), H!Mia, and Ylgr. This took way too much time but it ended up being a very satisfying clear. I did learn something from this; I suck at holding choke points and enemy phase units lol C:

@Alexmender

@Nanima

This map turned out to be harder, than I first thought. After the 4 reinforcements turn I realized I had to stop fooling around and bring my stronger fliers, so I feel for those poor Takumis.

But you still got it done with Takumi and Eirika, well done to both of you. The dedication is admirable as always.

Also I liked the Starfish to Gharnef's face.

Edited by Azuris

@LordFrigid Quick and effortless. Just another day at the office for Caeda. Didn't need an offensive special, not even for the blue mage.

@SatsumaFSoysoy You made that look easy. Good music, perfect use of dragon slayers (especially Julia) and Linde got the all but mandatory kill on Gharnef. Couldn't ask for more.

@mampfoid That Armor's Bonfire takes a chunk out of Matthew. Elincia surviving it was pretty darn impressive. This is one of the peskier GHB's for traditionalists, but the layout made it easy for 1-turn clears and you capitalized on that. They tried to wall you with that armor but you just cut right through him. ATK Smoke is such a valuable skill, I still can't believe *3 Kaze is a thing.

@Landmaster Lunatic or no, that was still quite the impressive clear. No clear star here, everyone played a part and Jeorge put in some work despite his nature. Believe me I know what it's like when it comes to him, every single one I pulled was -ATK or -SPD until the very last one I pulled a few months ago was +ATK. Keep in mind he was one of the very first units I ever pulled when I started FEH a few months after the game launched. Also I have the same Boon Athena! She's deceptively tanky. I have a +ATK/-HP one now but... I don't know, I'm kinda interested in some sort of wacky Safeguard+ build or something. Anyways good work.

I didn't even think it was possible to get to Gharnef before turn 3 but you did it. You completely snuffed him out before his tome could even take effect. That's what makes the map difficult because you can't do anything on T3 EP which allows the enemies to pile up on top of you but you bypassed it altogether. After that the map was basically a breeze for you. Got to give you props for the infernal clear. I was impressed. You don't see Mae often and she did a ton, Morgan is always a treat and I don't really consider using L!Marth to be cheap really. Dragons are his only real strength outside of his special of course. He deserved to shine here, and even then he didn't do it alone.

@Hilda A perfect symphony. Truly epic. The trio completely destroyed this map. I know it was probably tough to put together but to me at one point it just looked like you were showing off. The Galeforce with Sharena, Alfonse being completely immovable, Anna's perfect teleporting and Veronica keeping everything tight was so on point that I was a little starstruck. Truly fitting for a final battle to close book 2 (Definitely more interesting than Surtr's map). Also hahaha! I see that Smash Bros Melee orchestral theme! I really thought that was going to bother me when I heard it start, but it turned out to be perfect for the battle. 10/10.

@Nanima A clear is a clear. As long as you feel good about it that's all that matters. That looked effortless. For all your talk about troubles with your other clears you completely steamrolled this one. I know how powerful L!Tiki is but I've never seen S!Tiki in action before. She's an utter monster. Everything was just so flawless, I'm almost a bit envious.

@Alexmender I could really feel your hatred for Gharnef in this one. Eirika was blowing up the reinforcements faster than they could spawn. There's really not much else to say here. Just... wow. That was a slaughter.

And eyy!~ A special clear from you! This one was quite special indeed. Why does everyone under the sun have a flying dancer except me?...  This is the first I've seen S!Linde in action I think, to memory at least. You sweeped the enemies pretty nicely in this one as well, though it was much more of a team effort. Linde fittingly struck the finishing blow on Gharnef as well, as it should be. Music was perfect as well. You don't do music often, but when you do you really know your stuff.

@Azuris I didn't say this to you in the other topic but I really appreciate you following my videos. It's always nice to know there's someone out their that enjoys your work, even if you don't know it.

@mcsilas @daisy jane @ruruo @eclipse @Vaximillian @silveraura25

I'm actually kind of jealous of everyone's clears this time. They're so offensive and don't care about Gharnef's effect at all whereas just about all of my clears lean on the defensive side. If it wasn't for that turn 3 nonsense just about all the clears would have been cake but... it was a bit troublesome to deal with honestly. I hope my clears live up to all these other ones.

Matthew: ...Get behind me.

The last time I used that quote was just to sound cool, this time it's true to form. The name of the game this time was to put the team behind Matthew and let him lead them to victory. Splitting up the team was impossible so it became crucial to use swap on Ayra and switch between her Drives and Genny's healing as necessary. Though Matthew saw most of the action, his teammates supported him all throughout the mission and he still needed the RES refine on his dagger to deal with Gharnef. Genny needed a bit of help to deal with a specific enemy. Outside of that and some trial and error there was very little skill swapping. They had what they needed from the beginning, just had to figure out how to make it work, and we did.

Morgan's clear was a lot quicker, which was ironic given the fact that it was actually quite a bit trickier. Lots of skills and seals were swapped around trying to replicate the very quick initial success I had in the first few minutes. Amelia needed to lose enough HP for Ninian to get to her, Morgan needed a speed boost from Priscilla  to deal with a certain enemy as well as needing to be in Brazen Range and have a special ready to deal with Gharnef. Turn 2 was the trickiest.

If Morgan had been buffed then Gharnef would have Chill ATK'ed him which would have ruined the clear, but Priscilla also needed to heal Amelia who needed to be in the right spot in order for the enemies to move properly. It was a lot of trial and error trying to figure out the right combination of movements that I just happened to get right one of the first few attempts. When I got it though, everything else was gravy. I goofed on some editing and forgot a fade-out for the first half of the music, couldn't be bothered to fix it though, it is what it is.

Now for the crown jewel of my clears: The Special Clear. Now, I'm sure I know what you're thinking "Yep he said he was waning off of the clears but he still did 3 like he always does!" so what's my excuse this time? Well, this one was a long time coming. I've been wanting to do an FE1 clear for the longest. I just didn't know how to go about it. Then I knew what I wanted to do when L!Marth came along, I just couldn't get things ready in time. This was the perfect opportunity, and boy oh boy it almost didn't even happen! After an oversight on one of my units during the building process (Merric) went awry, I wasn't sure the clear could be done but man oh man I figured it out, and did it without wasting resources!

No New Mystery or anything like that, this is a pure FE1 clear. L!Marth, Linde, Merric and Wrys. And it's exactly what you'd want it to be. Marth holds his ground and fights, supported by his allies, Linde blows things up, Merric plays a small but crucial role and Wrys supports his allies. As for what was needed? Marth needed an ATK and SPD hone, Wrys needed ATK+3 to give him just enough healing power to ensure Marth's survival. But most importantly, Marth uses ATK Smoke 1. This was the most important SI as ATK Smoke 3 scares units out of place and they end up doing troublesome things. This is a defensive clear as well, but one of perfect synergy. No movement is wasted, and even though it seems like Merric carries the lightest load (and he does) without his role, the entire clear falls apart.

I wanted to use a song called "Starlight" for obvious reasons, but it just didn't fit the clear. No contemporary music, no wacky themes. These are the originals, a clear with the very first real Fire Emblem Heroes. They deserve a fittingly epic theme. And that's exactly what they got. Enjoy watching the OG's work.

And with that, we're done. Now to wait for Hrid. Our road to the end continues.

@ZeoI actually did show off. When I tackle a GHB with the Askrtrio i start with their basekit and only put in additional skills if i really dont see a way to do it without. This time i startet that way too just to get an Idea and said then later "its the last battle of book 2, time to go full out and wreck stuff with them". My Askrtrios have almost all skills inherited!
And as allways i am impressed by the amount of stuff Matt tanks... my Saizo cant handle anything magical that even sniffs at him lol

On 23/11/2018 at 3:06 AM, Vaximillian said:

I’m fed up with reinforcement maps where there is no place for manoeuvre, so Celica (and three not-Celicas) strikes back:
Screenshot_20181123-150509.png

The sword fighter would kill himself on Azura on his phase. Stage clear.

Oh, I’m also fed up with Guidance.

You used the same strategy as I did. Celica with brazen attack/speed, desperation and flashing blade with support from three dancers is a monster. 

10 hours ago, Zeo said:

I'm actually kind of jealous of everyone's clears this time. They're so offensive and don't care about Gharnef's effect at all whereas just about all of my clears lean on the defensive side.

I understand how you feel there. These newer ghb and lhb throw so many reinforcements at you that, if you don't have the offensive power to blast them away as fast as they come or enemy phase units that defeat multiple foes every turn, you get overwhelmed quickly.

So it is good to see, that with clever movement and all units supporting each other, you still managed to prevail in all your challenges. It seemed close sometimes, but that only proves that every skill and position mattered. Nicely done.

Also no 5* +10 Wrys? (I'm kidding of course)

@Hilda

Really nice Askr clear. I expected them really loaded with exclusive skills, but apart from atk/spd link and to a lesser extend drive attack, there wasn't even anything that was hard to get. But even with skills they are still unmerged low bst melee units, so that was an impressive showing of game knowledge and on top execution.

I also quite like your layout, was that just for this clear, or do you happen to have a stream or something like that?